Application Requirements

You must submit the following:

Who May Apply For a Warm Air/Ventilation Permit?

Owners/Homeowners: Owners/homesteaders may apply for a warm air/ventilation permit for a single-family dwelling if the following conditions are met:

  • You own the property
  • You legally homestead the property
  • You perform the refrigeration work yourself

Owners/homesteaders of duplexes must be living in the half/side of the duplex where the refrigeration work will be performed.

If you are the owner of a single-family dwelling or duplex and do not homestead the portion you are working in, you can not apply for a refrigeration permit. (A homesteader occupies the dwelling unit and is registered as the homesteader in Ramsey County. To file for homestead, contact Ramsey County Homestead at 651-266-2100.)

Contractors: Warm air/ventilation permits for the following properties must be obtained by an warm air/ventilation contractor licensed by the City of Saint Paul:

  • Residential properties of 3+ units
  • Commercial properties

Warm air/ventilation contractors, licensed by the City of Saint Paul, may perform warm air/ventilation work on any property in Saint Paul with the appropriate permit. If a licensed warm air/ventilation contractor has been hired, they are responsible for obtaining the warm air/ventilation permit and complying with code requirements.

Last Edited: May 13, 2022