2023 Neighborhood STAR Application Now Open
The Neighborhood STAR program awards grants for capital improvement projects in Saint Paul neighborhoods.
Applications are now open for the 2023 funding round. Completed applications must be submitted by Monday, July 31 at 4 p.m.
STAR funding may only be used for permanently affixed, physical (“bricks and mortar”) enhancements which strengthen and/or improve the neighborhoods of Saint Paul. Projects may include commercial and/or housing rehabilitation, parks projects, streetscape projects, creative placemaking/place-keeping, and economic development activities with an expected life of seven or more years. Public, private, non-profit or for-profit entities located in or doing business in Saint Paul may apply for STAR funds.
Find more details, specific program guidelines and a link to the application at stpaul.gov/nstar.
Program changes for 2023
The Saint Paul City Council recently adopted guideline changes for Neighborhood STAR to increase accessibility to grant funds. These changes include:
- In 2023, Neighborhood STAR will be a grants-only program (no loan awards)
- Grant requests of up to $50,000 will no longer require matching funds. Going forward, only grant requests of over $50,000 will require one-to-one matching funds in the full amount of the Neighborhood STAR funding request.
A workshop is held at the beginning of each funding cycle to provide program information to prospective applicants. This year's kickoff meeting will be held in-person:
Friday, July 7
Neighborhood House at Wellstone Center
179 Robie Street East
Room 212 – Anna Heilmaier Meeting Room
Saint Paul, MN 55107
The session will be recorded and a link will be provided on the Neighborhood STAR website.
Helpful application resources
- Contact program staff to request sample applications that may provide additional insights into what makes a strong application.
- Please review the program guidelines for more insight into the goals of the program and elements of a successful application. The guidelines are also available in Spanish, Hmong/Hmoob and Somali.
- If you require translation assistance, please contact Language Line at 1-800-367-9559 and enter client code 509052 for assistance.
- If you require assistance with or access to technology, please visit a Saint Paul Public Library for free computer and internet access.
- View the ZoomGrants tutorial for help with the application platform.
For additional help, contact the Neighborhood STAR staff: