What other kind of charges may be assessed to my property?

Nuisance Abatement

The City is authorized to collect via assessment its cost of abating property-related health and safety problems when an owner has failed to perform the work following notice by the City. Such abatements may include:

  • Sidewalk snow and ice removal
  • Property cleanup/rubbish removal
  • Weed elimination
  • Trash hauling
  • Building board-up
  • Building demolition
  • Abandoned vehicle removal
  • Graffiti removal
  • Diseased tree removal

Unpaid City Charges

The City may assess property owners to recover unpaid city charges, including:

  • Excessive inspections of property code violations
  • Delinquent Vacant Building Monitoring registration fees
  • Delinquent Certificate of Occupancy fees
  • Payments to court-appointed property administrators for improvements made to remedy property code violations (Tenants Remedy Act)

Last Edited: February 16, 2017