This information was last updated on March 28, 2022.
The City is not accepting applications for Police Officer. Please fill out the Police Officer Interest Form to be notified of the next SPPD Police Officer hiring process.
The Saint Paul Police Department is respected for being a leader in Minnesota law enforcement. If you are interested in joining the SPPD and serving a diverse community, read the following information:
Police Officer Requirements:
- You must be at least 21 years old by the date specified in the job announcement.
- You must be a United States citizen.
- You must have a valid Minnesota Driver's License (Class D), or equivalent out-of-state driver's license.
- You must not have any criminal convictions of gross misdemeanor or the equivalent level.
- You must not have any felony convictions; including pardons and/or expungements (according to Minnesota Statute 364.09).
- You must not have any physical assault, domestic assault or eluding the police convictions.
- You must be in good physical condition.
- You must successfully complete a Saint Paul Police Department background investigation, psychological examination and a comprehensive medical examination including drug testing.
- You must be Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) licensed or eligible to be licensed as a peace officer in the State of Minnesota by the date of conditional offer for employment.
- If you have a college degree other than Law Enforcement, you must obtain a Law Enforcement Certificate from any eligible college/university in the State of Minnesota; a list may be found here.
If you are a military veteran and are not POST certified:
- You must have served in a Military Police capacity in one of the following ways:
- Four years of experience in a law enforcement occupational specialty
- Two years of experience in a law enforcement occupational specialty plus a degree from a regionally accredited postsecondary institution
- Experience as a full-time peace officer in another state combined with years of experience in a military law enforcement occupational totaling four years
- You must apply for reciprocity with the Minnesota POST Board before you can be considered for employment. More information on reciprocity may be found here.
How do you become POST eligible?
Contact the Minnesota State POST Board:
651-643-3060 or visit the POST website
Police Officer Transfers (currently accepting applications)
Police Officer Salary and Benefits
Minimum starting salary: $67,142.40 annually
- 1-5 years: 15 days
- 5-9 years: 20 days
- 10-14 years: 23 days
- 15-19 years: 25 days
- 20+ years: 27 days
Holidays: Eleven days per year.
For Additional Information, visit:
For more information about becoming a Peace Officer in Minnesota, click this link.
To watch the Police Officer recruitment video, click this link.
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Saint Paul. The City of Saint Paul is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the L.G.B.T.Q. community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.