8 80 Vitality Fellow
As a part of the city’s effort to create vibrant places and spaces, the city hired an 8 80 Vitality Fellow to help implement this vision across all city departments. The 8 80 Vitality Fellow's role was to embed the concepts of building cities that are welcoming to people of all ages and abilities into current and future projects, as well as other aspects of city government to help the city compete and thrive in a 21st century economy. The 8 80 Vitality Fellow position was funded with support from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.
Building a Vibrant Saint Paul
Learn more about Saint Paul's efforts to build an even more vibrant city. (Click to enlarge the article.)
Perspectives: A Series
With the goal of helping participants think differently about their work, Margaret has arranged learning opportunities from a wide range of government, business and community organizations. She has brought in national and local change agents, all inspiring us to dream, implement and succeed. The conversations have been energizing, motivating and well-received and have been attended by over 830 participants to date.
Previous speakers have included:
- Gil Penalosa, "Building an 8-80 City Through Partnership"
- Brian Falk, "Project for Lean Urbanism"
- Gabe Klein, "Start-Up City"
- Jay Walljasper, "25 Ways to Make a Great Community for Everyone"
- Shaun O'Rourke, "Green Infrastructure and Water-Smart Cities"
- James Edward Mills, "Bridging the 'Adventure Gap'"
- Margaret Lamar and Andrew Moore, "Cities Connecting Children to Nature"
- Dr. Mindy Fullilove, "Ungumming the Works So We Don't Drown: Tips from Restoration Urbanists"
- James Rojas, "Place It!: Community Visioning Through Civil Rights, Art and Play"
- Susan Brower, "A Conversation with Minnesota State Demographer"
- Dr. Ron Van Houten, "National Road Safety Expert - A Closer Look at Saint Paul Streets"
- Wing Young Huie, Photography Workshop - "We are the Other"
- Carissa Glatt and Justin Hollis, "How Healthy are we?"
- Panel discussion - "Building Our Future: Capitalizing on diverse investments to strengthen Saint Paul's economy"