Food Hall COVID-19 Grants
The City of Saint Paul has approved $3.5 million of federal CARES Act funding for the provision of economic support in connection with the COVID-19 public health emergency. Food halls are eligible for a grant of up to $250,000. These unique spaces provide a home for small businesses to start, scale or expand.
Applications are due Wednesday, October 21 at 5 p.m.
Food halls must:
- Be located within Saint Paul city limits.
- Be currently operating or able to open for operation if circumstances allowed (i.e. still control the physical space).
- Have opened prior to December 1, 2019.
- Have experienced business interruption due to COVID-19 related business closures or were affected by decreased customer demand as a result of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Be able to demonstrate lost rental income during the period March 1, 2020 through September 30, 2020.
- Detail how it would use a grant of up to $250,000 to pay for eligible
- Indicate if the business received a $7,500 grant from the Saint Paul Bridge Fund for Small Businesses and detail any amounts of CARES Act funding that has previously been received by the business, including Ramsey County’s Small Business Relief Fund or Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) grants using CARES Act funds. The business will also be required to attest that they HAVE NOT utilized any of the above amounts to cover the same expenditures identified for the use of this venue support grant.
The following are not eligible:
- Properties that received a grant from DEED’s Cultural Mall Operator Grants Program.
Grant funds may be used to pay for the following eligible expenses incurred between March 1 and September 30, 2020:
- Rent or mortgage payments
- Limited utilities (gas, electricity, telephone, business internet/cable, recycling, and security systems) already paid
- Earned sick and safe time relief to employees
- Other eligible operating expenses (including insurance, marketing, supplies, inventory, security, maintenance, and cleaning)
- Type: Grant
- Maximum award: $250,000
Applications are due Wednesday, October 21 at 5 p.m. All eligible applicants will be funded, and the size of the grant will be based on demonstrated lost rental income, eligible expenses, and the overall amount of eligible applications received.
Applications are available at ZoomGrants. Application requirements will involve providing:
- Evidence of Eligibility Criteria.
- Basic details about the Food Hall.
- A narrative description and calculation of negative impacts on the Food Hall, and associated costs, due to business interruptions and/or decreased customer demand caused by the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- Information on current operations, including whether the Food Hall closed or is providing reduced services.