Plumbing / Gas
When is a permit required?
If you are going to install new, alter, replace, repair, relocate, reinstall, or change the waste and/or vent, water, or gas for a plumbing system, the Saint Paul Department of Safety and Inspections requires that you obtain a plumbing permit.
Why are permits necessary?
- Properly functioning plumbing systems protect the health of the citizens.
- Plumbing systems carry both drinking water and wastewater. If the wastewater mixes with the drinking water, there is a chance people using that system could get sick.
- A plumbing system built according to the plumbing code is a safe system.
Dishwasher Permits - New Policy Effective January 1, 2019
- Effective January 01, 2019 the Department of Safety and Inspections will follow and support the guidelines set forth in the new policy (click here for policy). This policy is only for the replacement of dishwashers in one- and two-family dwellings. Any work that deviates from this policy will require a plumbing permit.
Permits are available in the following categories:
Who Can Apply?
Homeowners applying for Plumbing, Gas Fitting, and Inside Water Piping Permits must apply in person. The only plumbing permits available online are repair and/or replace for contractors only.
When you are ready for a plumbing inspection, please contact your Plumbing Inspector listed on your permit. You may also see the Plumbing Inspector Area Map link for the inspector in your area or call 651-266-8989. Plumbing Inspectors are available from 7:30 am – 9:00 am Monday through Friday.
- When a Plumbing Plan Review is Required
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Plumbing Inspectors Area Map (pdf)
- All Trades Inspectors Area Map (interactive map)
- Individual Sewage Treatment System Maintenance Review Handout
- Homeowners Affidavit for Plumbing Permit Application
- Help Applying Online for Permit (Contractors Only)
- Plumbing Certificate of Competency Guidelines and Exam Application
Upcoming Plumbing Certificate of Competency Exam Dates:
- Thursday, April 4th, 2019
- Friday, April 5th, 2019
- Thursday, October 10th, 2019
- Friday, October 11th, 2019