Plumbing / Gas
When is a permit required?
If you are going to install new, alter, replace, repair, relocate, reinstall, or change the waste and/or vent, water, or gas for a plumbing system, the Saint Paul Department of Safety and Inspections requires that you obtain a plumbing permit.
Why are permits necessary?
- Properly functioning plumbing systems protect the health of the citizens.
- Plumbing systems carry both drinking water and wastewater. If the wastewater mixes with the drinking water, there is a chance people using that system could get sick.
- A plumbing system built according to the plumbing code is a safe system.
Permits are available in the following categories:
Who Can Apply?
Homeowners applying for Plumbing, Gas Fitting, and Inside Water Piping Permits must apply in person. The only plumbing permits available online are repair and/or replace for contractors only.
When you are ready for a plumbing inspection, please contact your Plumbing Inspector listed on your permit. You may also see the Plumbing Inspector Area Map link for the inspector in your area or call 651-266-8989. Plumbing Inspectors are available from 7:30 am – 9:00 am Monday through Friday.
- When a Plumbing Plan Review is Required
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Plumbing Inspectors Area Map (pdf)
- All Trades Inspectors Area Map (interactive map)
- Individual Sewage Treatment System Maintenance Review Handout
- Homeowners Affidavit for Plumbing Permit Application
- Help Applying Online for Permit (Contractors Only)
- Plumbing Certificate of Competency Guidelines and Exam Application
Upcoming Plumbing Certificate of Competency Exam Dates:
- April 5th, 2018
- April 6th, 2018