Animal boarding means and includes every place kept or maintained for the care and socializing of live dogs or cats for any amount of time by a person other than the owner of the live animal. An animal boarding facility may also offer animal daycare. Animal boarding does not include facilities that provide breeding of animals, selling of animals, or facilities whose primary source of revenue is licensed veterinarian services pursuant to Chapter 348. If you have questions, contact DSI at 651-266-8989, or email the DSI Message Center.
See chapter 348 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for information about animal boarding.
- The name, place of residence, and telephone number of the applicant.
- The exact location of the premises upon which the applicant proposes to provide animal services and the telephone number.
- Whether the applicant has ever engaged in a similar business and, if so, the location thereof and the date when so engaged.
- A description of the type of services offered including but not limited to animal daycare, animal boarding, pet grooming, and obedience training.
- The maximum intended number of animals to be housed at the facility at any one time.
- The maximum and minimum length of stay for individual animals.
Expiration & Renewal
An Animal Boarding License will expire one year from the date of issuance and may be renewed annually.
See Fee Table for current License fees.