This license is for the removal of a motor vehicle by towing or pushing from private property at the request of a person who is neither owner, operator, agent of the owner, nor operator of the vehicle. This license is not required for operators towing from public property. This license is not required if licensed in another municipality and can prove such license. Also see Tow Truck / Wrecker Vehicle License. If you have questions, contact DSI at 651-266-8989, or email the DSI Message Center.
See Chapter 361 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for information about tow trucks and wreckers.
You must submit the following:/departments/safety-inspections/open-operate-expand-business/business-licenses-and-permits
Tow Truck Wrecker App Requirements.pdf (144.21 KB)
Class R License Application.pdf (402.47 KB)
- Tow Truck / Wrecker Vehicle License Application with affidavit
- Tow Truck Inspection Sheets
- A letter stating the location and security of the lot
- $10,000 Uniform License and Permit Surety Bond
- A certificate of Insurance showing proof of auto insurance in the amount of $100,000 for injury or accidental death to one person and $300,000 each occurrence and $100,000 property damage
- A copy of the minimum non-contract fee schedule
- A list of drivers employed including their home addresses
- A list of towing locations
- A list of tow order signees
- Required fee
This license requires inspection approvals from the Saint Paul Fire Safety Inspections (Phone: 651-266-8989), Licensing (Phone: 651-266-8989), and Zoning (Phone: 651-266-9008).
The annual fee for a Tow Truck / Wrecker Operator License is $369.00 per site.
A Tow Truck / Wrecker Operator License expires on the insurance and/or bond expiration date, and may be renewed annually.