Alternative #1

Furnace and hazardous equipment rooms that are required to be separated from common hallways and occupied areas shall be done so in the following manner: walls/ceilings must be 2" or 5/8" sheetrock on both sides of studs (existing lath and plaster can remain if in good condition). Doors must be labeled UL or FM approved one-hour fire doors if installed or replaced. Existing doors that are substantial 1 3/4" solid core or have been previously upgraded with sheet metal, Sheetrock and/or plywood, can remain but as they are replaced they must be replaced with a labeled UL or FM approved one-hour fire door. All fire doors must be self-closing and latching.

Alternative #2

Ceiling separation requirement may be infeasible; therefore, sprinkler heads from the domestic water supply may be a possible alternative over hazardous areas.

A permit and inspection are required from the Department of Safety and Inspections for all sprinkler installations in new and existing buildings. Permits will not be issued on buildings with less than a one-inch water supply. The permit application will require the following:

  1. The approval for such installation from the Water Department.
  2. A plan showing the area to be covered and the location of heads. 
  3. The permit fee.

When the permit is secured, the installation shall then be made. The Inspector must be notified that installation is complete and a request for an inspection must be made. Contact the Plumbing Inspector in the Department of Safety and Inspections at (651-266-8989).

Alternative #3

The Water Department will not allow sprinkler heads from the domestic line if service to the building is less than one inch and will inform the owner of this in writing. If alternative #1 and #2 are infeasible, an interconnected hard-wired smoke detection system can be installed in hazardous areas, connected to a minimum of one detector at the top of each stairwell which will alarm residents should a fire occur. The hard- wired detection system shall be audible to all occupants of the building. This does not provide property protection by preventing smoke and fire from spreading in the building, but affords life safety protection to the occupants.

Electrical work requires a permit to assure correct installation. Contact the Department of Safety and Inspection at (651-266-8989) for permit information.

Last Edited: January 12, 2022