To help small businesses participate in public contracting opportunities, Contract Compliance works closely with numerous community partners that provide resources and training opportunities to local small businesses and residents.
Construction Careers Foundation
Minnesota construction employers and their trade management associations established the Construction Careers Foundation (CCF) in 2004 to align with and/or create educational opportunities for individuals to become aware of and enter in to a career path within the union construction trades industry. CCF provides the summer Under Construction Program (UCP) to St. Paul Section 3 youth, which is a paid hands-on construction experience. In addition to receiving construction related training, participating youth receive math, OHSA 10, Pro 10, apprenticeship credit and workplace readiness training and onsite safety tool instruction. They also receive career counseling from union apprenticeship coordinators who came to the worksite to talk about their specific trades, how to apply, and general job placement outlook. Learn more about the Construction Careers Foundation.
Latino Economic Development Center
1516 E Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55407
The Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC) is a local Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) offering business development services to Section 3 and CERT-certified businesses, as well as businesses possibly eligible to participate in the State's Targeted Group Business (TGB) program, and the federal Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) program. Learn more about the Latino Economic Development Center.
Neighborhood Development Center
Director of Training
663 University Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55104
The Neighborhood Development Center (NDC) is a local CDFI offering financing, business development services, and technical assistance to Saint Paul Section 3 and CERT-certified businesses. Specifically, NDC has tailored their "Plan It" curriculum to offer industry-specific entrepreneur training to Section 3 construction contractors. NDC also offers low-interest working capital loans to small businesses to assist with start up costs and cash flow challenges for small businesses and construction contractors. Learn more about the Neighborhood Development Center.
Training for Success, LLC (TFS, LLC)
1360 University Avenue W.
Saint Paul, MN 55104
Phone: (612) 338-3234
Training for Success, LLC is a private company offering business development services to local small, CERT-certified, Section 3, TGB and DBE companies. TFS has trained over 1,100 Small Business Enterprises, Disadvantaged Business Enterprises, Minority Business Enterprises, Women Business Enterprises and SBA 8(a) Certified Businesses by the Cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis, the Minnesota Department of Transportation and the United States Small Business Administration.
YWCA Saint Paul
Transportation Programs Manager
375 Selby Ave
Saint Paul, MN 55102
The YWCA of Saint Paul provides job placement services for Saint Paul Section 3 residents, centered around a vigorous educational program preparing students for their Commercial Driver's License examination. The YWCA provides classroom preparation, behind-the-wheel training, construction training, and CDL exam preparation for its students. Upon completion, the YWCA continues to provide support services for job seekers, helping students prepare resumes, practice interviewing techniques, and handle on-the-job challenges from both technical and interpersonal perspectives. The YWCA has relationships with several trades unions and has successfully placed graduates of the program in gainful, long-term positions.
Local Chambers of Commerce and Trade Associations
HREEO Contract Compliance works closely with local area chambers of commerce who provide networking and resources to local small business. Some of these chambers include:
- African Economic Development Solutions, Tel. 651-646-9411, Email
- American Indian Chamber of Commerce, Tel. 651-917-0819; Fax 651-917-0804; Email
- Asian Economic Development Association, Tel. 651-222-7798; Email
- Association of Women Contractors (AWC), Tel. 651-489-2221; Fax 651-489-0213; Email
- Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC), Tel. 651-649-1109; Fax 651-649-1112
- Minnesota American Indian Chamber of Commerce, Tel. 612-877-2117; Email
- Minnesota Black Chamber of Commerce, Tel. 651-224-4320; Fax 651-777-7065
- National Association of Minority Contractors: Upper Midwest Chapter, Tel. 612-627-9038; Fax 612-627-9052; Email
- North Central Midwest Minority Supplier Development Council (NCMSDC), Tel. 612-465-8886; Fax 612-465-8887; Email:
- SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives), Tel: 612-716-8975; Email
- Small and Disadvantaged Business Opportunities Council (SADBOC), Tel. 612-713-7200; Fax 612-713-7203; Email:
- Small Business Administration: Minnesota District Office, Tel. 612-370-2324; Fax 202-481-0139
- Women Venture, Tel. 651-646-3808; Email
Additional Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI's)
Community Development Financial Institutions are a great way for local small businesses to access capital when they are unable to work with more traditional revenue streams like large commercial banks.