Composed of Saint Paul residents, the Police Civilian Internal Affairs Review Commission (PCIARC) is the civilian oversight group for the Saint Paul Police Department (SPPD). The PCIARC reviews investigations and makes disciplinary and policy recommendations to the Saint Paul Chief of Police on civilian-initiated complaints of police misconduct. The PCIARC does not replace civil or criminal court, rather it makes recommendations to the Chief of Police regarding  the conduct of police officers as employees, subject to the Minnesota Peace Officer Discipline Procedures Act and related state labor laws. The Chief of Police has the final authority over any disciplinary action imposed against a police officer as an employee.  

         Apply to be a PCIARC Commissioner      File a Police Misconduct Complaint 

                  Attend a PCIARC Meeting          Learn more about the PCIARC

Filing a Complaint of Police Misconduct

There are several ways to file a complaint: 

  1. 1. Individuals can file an electronic complaint; or  

  2. 2. Individuals can receive assistance from the PCIARC Coordinator in person at the HREEO office in Saint Paul City Hall; or  

  3. 3. Individuals can complete the PCIARC Complaint Form linked below and mail or email the form to the PCIARC coordinator. 

  1. 4. In addition to filing complaints with HREEO, community members may file complaints regarding allegations of police misconduct directly with the Internal Affairs Unit of SPPD. Please note: Complaints filed directly with the Internal Affairs Unit are not reviewed by the PCIARC Coordinator until the investigation is complete and only if a case is referred to the PCIARC for review.

HREEO’s office is open Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. Walk-ins are welcome Monday- Thursday 8:00 - 4:00. 

Reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act and assistance, including language assistance, are available upon request. 

For questions, inquiries, or support, please call the PCIARC line: (651)266-8970 or email 

HREEO's address is:
City of Saint Paul
Department of Human Rights and Equal Economic Opportunity
15 Kellogg Boulevard West 
280 City Hall
Saint Paul, MN 55102

The following organizations can also assist community members in filing complaints: 

Saint Paul NAACP
Hallie Q. Brown Community Center
270 North Kent Street 
Saint Paul, MN 55102
Phone: 651-649-0520 | Email 
Please call or email to set up an appointment.

West Side Community Organization
209 Page St. W
Saint Paul, MN 55107
Phone: 651-293-1708 I Email
Please call or email to set up an appointment.

Learn more about the complaint review process

For questions on the complaint process or the Police Civilian Internal Affairs Review Commission, please contact the PCIARC Coordinator.

Last Edited: June 13, 2024