Tips to prevent smoke from entering your home (complete prior to test)
- Run water faucets for a few seconds in unused sinks, tubs, and drains to fill fixture traps.
- Pour water into each basement floor drain (at least 1 gallon).
- If you have defective plumbing (i.e. no trap) you should consult with a licensed plumber.
If you notice smoke in your home
- Do not become alarmed.
- Open doors and windows to ventilate the premise to clear smoke.
- Please notify our work crews by calling the Smoke Testing Crew Chief at 651-238-0572.
- Simulated smoke will not stain walls or furniture; nor will it leave a residue.
- Consult a licensed plumber in the near future to identify the smoke access area, as the potential exists for sewer gases to enter you home in the same manner.
- Important! If there is an individual in your home or business who has respiratory problems and is immobile please notify Girma Daka at 651-266-6189 or by calling the Sewer Utility Permit Desk at 266-6234 prior to testing.
- There is no danger of fire or explosion of sewer gas with the smoke testing process.
- St. Paul Police and Fire Departments will be notified of the smoke testing.
- Avoid unnecessary exposure to the simulated smoke.
- The smoke is relatively harmless but may irritate air passages.
- Smoke irritation is temporary and should disappear after exposure has ceased.
- A copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) is available for you review in the link below.
In This Section