Report a Sidewalk Concern

Concerned about the condition of the sidewalk in your neighborhood or looking to have an area of sidewalk repaired?  

Please use this form to report sidewalk issues or concerns to Public Works Sidewalk Division. If possible, include a photo that best shows the sidewalk issue. Residents can also call the Sidewalk Division at 651-266-6120.

About Sidewalk Repairs

With more than 1,000 miles of sidewalk across Saint Paul, keeping them safe is a priority for Public Works. The sidewalk division repair a limited number of concrete panels per construction season - approximately one to two miles total. The city regularly uses asphalt patches to try to eliminate tripping hazards with uneven and raised panels and also to seal large cracks to prevent further deterioration. While some residents do not like the look of asphalt patches, they are effective in reducing tripping hazards and can last. 

Typically, new concrete sidewalk and sidewalk repairs are scheduled a year in advance. The repair locations are coordinated throughout the city for efficiency. Many factors go into determining which sidewalks and panels are replaced with concrete, including severity of heave (4+ inches), damage and deterioration; volume of use; other pedestrian improvements; and planned street work such as street reconstruction or mill and overlays.

Report a Sidewalk Concern

Sidewalk Permit Application for Contractors

To apply for sidewalk permits in the City of Saint Paul, you must currently be an approved City of Saint Paul licensed sidewalk contractor.

If you are an approved City of Saint Paul licensed sidewalk contractor, please complete the Sidewalk Permit Application.

If you have any questions about the Sidewalk Permit Application or how to become a City of Saint Paul licensed sidewalk contractor, please contact the Sidewalk Division at or 651-266-6120.

Sidewalk Permit Application

Curb Cut Request

To determine if its permissible to add or extend a curb cut to your property, please complete the Curb Cut Request Form.

Please note that this is not a permit application.

If you have any questions about a curb cut request, please contact the Sidewalk Division at or 651-266-6120.

Curb Cut Request Form

What happens when a sidewalk concern is reported?

  • An inspector is sent out to review and evaluate the sidewalk condition.
    • The inspector evaluates the condition of the mainline sidewalk (sidewalk that runs parallel to the street). The inspector will not evaluate boulevard walks (sidewalk that goes from the main sidewalk to the street), driveways, or driveway aprons (the section of driveway that is in the public right of way and connects to the street).
  • The inspector creates a report on the findings that they observed.
    • This report includes a recommendation as to when a reconstruction order should occur. This recommendation is based on the severity of the situation as compared to other sidewalks with similar condition(s).
  • If there are tripping concerns, asphalt patches will be made on the sidewalk.
  • Sidewalk panels are replaced with concrete based on a variety of factors, including the severity of damage, volume of use, proximity to other sidewalk concerns, and any upcoming street work projects.

Will the City fix my boulevard sidewalk or driveway apron?

As a policy, Public Works will not maintain or repair private boulevard sidewalks, driveways, or driveway aprons. Even though boulevard sidewalks and driveway aprons are located within the City right of way, the repair and maintenance is the responsibility of the property owner.

When Public Works reconstructs mainline sidewalks, the adjacent boulevard walks, driveways, and driveway aprons are not included in any reconstruction or repair work. The City will make a proper match to the mainline walk if necessary. This typically means the City will only reconstruct the part of the boulevard sidewalk or driveway apron abutting the mainline sidewalk.

Frequently Asked Questions

Last Edited: June 28, 2024