Saint Paul Animal Control (SPAC) sells dog licenses for all dogs residing in Saint Paul. Residents may choose between purchasing a Lifetime Dog License or an Annual Dog License. Discounts apply if the dog is spayed or neutered, and for owners over 62 years of age. Just fill out an application and provide the required documents and fees, and your dog will be legal in Saint Paul.
Why License your Dog
- It's a Free Ride Home: When a licensed dog is found in Saint Paul, Animal Control Officers bring the dog home, so long as the owner is available and doesn't have a history of animal control violations.
- Your Pet is More Likely to Get Back Home: Licensed dogs are three times more likely than unlicensed dogs to go home again.
- Prompt Veterinary Attention: If your pet is found injured or is lost and needed medication, a dog license makes it more likely that the dog will get proper care right away.
- It's the Law: Saint Paul requires dogs to be licensed once the dog is over three (3) months old (Saint Paul Ordinance 200.02).
- It Ensures the Dog is Vaccinated Against Rabies: Saint Paul requires dogs to be vaccinated against rabies (Saint Paul Ordinance 199.02).
- It Helps other Animals. Dog Licenses help pay for:
- Sheltering and feeding lost animals with they are at SPAC.
- Educating the public about responsible pet ownership.
- Reuniting animals and owners, or finding new homes for animals.
Dog License Types, Requirements, and Fee
Saint Paul Dog Owners can choose between purchasing a dog license every year or once for the lifetime of the dog. In both cases, the owner must certify that the dog is current on rabies vaccinations and whether or not the dog is spayed or neutered. Owners that choose the lifetime option must also provide the dog's microchip number (not required for the yearly license). Discounted rates are given for spayed and neutered dogs and for dogs belonging to senior citizens (owners over 62 years of age). Dog Licenses cannot be transferred from one owner to another. Making a false statement about a dog's vaccination status, sterilization status, microchip status, or the age of the owner will result in cancelation of the license and a criminal citation. The form is the same for all types of licenses. Just select which type you are purchasing when you fill out the Dog License Application.
- $58 per year or
- $68 for the life of the dog (if microchipped)
Discounted Prices for Spayed and Neutered Dogs
- $12 per year or
- $35 for the life of the dog (if microchipped)
Discounted Prices for Senior Citizens (over 62 years of age)
- $28 per year or
- $35 for the life of the dog (if microchipped)
- $5 per year (if spayed or neutered) or
- $18 for the life of the dog (if microchipped, spayed or neutered)
How to Purchase a Saint Paul Dog License
Saint Paul dog licenses can be purchased by mail or in-person at locations throughout Saint Paul.
By Mail: Send a fully completed application, along with the required documentation and fee to:
Saint Paul Animal Control Center
1285 Jessamine Ave., W
Saint Paul, MN 55108
In Person: Walk-in customers are always welcome. Annual and Lifetime Dog Licenses can be purchased at the following Saint Paul Government Offices. Please, leave your dog at home:
|Saint Paul Animal Control Center||1285 Jessamine Ave., W||M-F 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm|
|Department of Safety & Inspections||375 Jackson St., Suite 200||M-F 7:30 am - 4:30 pm|
Dog Licenses can also be purchased from partner businesses and organizations (annual licenses only). Call first to check hours.
|Arcade Animal Hospital||1144 Arcade St.||(651) 772-3459|
|Como Park Animal Hospital||1014 Dale St., N||(651) 487-3255|
|Debbie's Dog House||367 Earl St.||(651) 242-2318|
|Feist Animal Hospital||1430 Marshall Ave.||(651) 646-7257|
|Fort Road Animal Clinic||1284 7th St., W||(651) 224-4037|
|Grand Avenue Veterinary Center||1140 Grand Ave.||(651) 224-3038|
|Grand Groomers||956 Grand Ave.||(651) 227-1733|
|Grand Paws||600 Hamline Ave., N||(651) 225-4022|
|Highland Animal Hospital||687 Cleveland Ave., S||(651) 432-0913|
|Larpenteur Animal Hospital||1136 Larpenteur Ave., W||(651) 487-3712|
|Life Care Animal Hospital||1328 White Bear Ave.||(651) 774-6063|
|Maryland Avenue Pet Hospital||96 Maryland Ave., E||(651) 489-8011|
|Saint Paul Pet Hospital||377 Dayton Ave.||(651) 789-6275|
|Scenic Hills Animal Hospital||1938 Burns Ave.||(651) 925-2861|
|Sidewalk Dog (on-line only)||www.sidewalkdog.com|
If your pet-related business or organization would like to sell Saint Paul Dog Licenses, please contact SPAC at (651) 266-1100.
Lost your Tags?
Dogs play hard, and sometimes that means dog license tags go missing. Replacement tags can be purchased for $5 through the mail or in person at the Saint Paul Animal Control Center or Department of Safety and Inspections.
If you have questions, contact our Animal Control office at 651-266-1100, or email the DSI Message Center.