Saint Paul Animal Control (SPAC) sells dog licenses for all dogs residing in Saint Paul. To get a dog license, all dogs must first be vaccinated against rabies. Saint Paul offers different types of licenses depending on whether or not the dog is spayed, neutered, or microchipped, and offers discounts for senior citizens and people receiving means tested public assistance. Just fill out the standard Dog License application and provide the required documents and fees, and your dog will be legal in Saint Paul.
Why License your Dog
- It's a Free Ride Home: When a licensed dog is found in Saint Paul, Animal Control Officers bring the dog home, so long as the owner is available and doesn't have a history of animal control violations.
- Your Pet is More Likely to Get Back Home: Licensed dogs are three times more likely than unlicensed dogs to go home again.
- Prompt Veterinary Attention: If your pet is found injured or is lost and needed medication, a dog license makes it more likely that the dog will get proper care right away.
- It's the Law: Saint Paul requires dogs to be licensed once the dog is over three (3) months old (Saint Paul Ordinance 200.02).
- It Ensures the Dog is Vaccinated Against Rabies: Saint Paul requires dogs to be vaccinated against rabies (Saint Paul Ordinance 199.02).
- It Helps other Animals. Dog Licenses help pay for:
- Sheltering and feeding lost animals with they are at SPAC.
- Educating the public about responsible pet ownership.
- Reuniting animals and owners, or finding new homes for animals.
Dog License Types, Requirements, and Fee
Saint Paul Dog Owners can choose between purchasing a dog license every year or once for the lifetime of the dog. In both cases, the owner must certify that the dog is current on rabies vaccinations and whether or not the dog is spayed or neutered. Owners that choose the lifetime option must also provide the dog's microchip number (not required for the yearly license). Discounted rates are given for spayed and neutered dogs and for dogs belonging to senior citizens (owners over 62 years of age). Dog Licenses cannot be transferred from one owner to another. Making a false statement about a dog's vaccination status, sterilization status, microchip status, or the age of the owner will result in cancelation of the license and a criminal citation. The form is the same for all types of licenses. Just select which type you are purchasing when you fill out the Dog License Application.
- $80 per year
Discounted Prices for Spayed and Neutered Dogs
- $20 per year or
- $140 for the life of the dog (if microchipped)
Reduced Prices for Spayed and Neutered Dogs owned by Senior Citizens (over 62 years of age) and Persons on Means-tested Public Assistance
- $10 per year or
- $70 for the life of the dog (if microchipped)
Residents qualify for reduced rate licenses if:
- They are 62 years of are or older
- They receive:
- Food Stamps, Medicaid, Free/Reduced School Lunch Program
- Social Security/Disability
- Minnesota Care or Medical Assistance
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children
- HUD Section 8 Housing Supplemental Security Income
- VA Disability
- Assistance for Needy Families
Annual Prices for Dogs Declared Dangerous or Potentially Dangerous
- $140 per year (spayed or neutered) or
- $280 per year (not spayed or neutered)
DSI accepts payments:
- By credit or debit cards using phone or fax (Ph: 651-266-8989; Fax: 651-266-9124)
- By paper check, credit or debit cards by US mail
- By cash, check, credit or debit card payments dropped off at the DSI lobby (375 Jackson St., Suite 220), in the drop box
- Please note: Credit or debit card transactions will be charged a 2.49% service fee starting on April 3, 2021; the fee will display as a separate charge on your statement.
How to Purchase a Saint Paul Dog License
Saint Paul dog licenses can be purchased by mail or in-person at locations throughout Saint Paul.
By Mail: Send a fully completed application, along with the required documentation and fee to:
Saint Paul Animal Control Center
1285 Jessamine Ave., W
Saint Paul, MN 55108
In Person: Walk-in customers are always welcome. Annual and Lifetime Dog Licenses can be purchased at the following Saint Paul Government Offices. Please, leave your dog at home:
|Saint Paul Animal Control Center||1285 Jessamine Ave., W||M-F 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm|
|Department of Safety & Inspections||375 Jackson St., Suite 200||M-F 7:30 am - 4:30 pm|
Lost your Tags?
Dogs play hard, and sometimes that means dog license tags go missing. Replacement tags can be purchased for $10 through the mail or in person at the Saint Paul Animal Control Center or Department of Safety and Inspections.
If you have questions, contact our Animal Control office at 651-266-1100, or email the DSI Message Center.