The City of Saint Paul offers a platform to submit development plans online. Electronic Plan Review is a convenient service that speeds up the existing permitting process by replacing the traditional paper-based review method.
Site Plan and New Commercial and Addition Building Plan reviews are eligible for Electronic Plan Review.
The following are some Frequently Asked Questions about getting started with ProjectDox. If you don't find an answer here, feel free to email DSITechnology@ci.stpaul.mn.us
What is ProjectDox?
ProjectDox is the software the City of Saint Paul relies on to perform Electronic Plan Review. This web-based software, a product of Avolve Software, is used in more than 150 cities to accept plan review documents online, and supports a more transparent and accessible review process.
What will Electronic Plan Review enable me to do?
You are able to upload drawings and other documents without having to travel to downtown Saint Paul: Monitor and track projects throughout the plan review process, view comments and markups, download approved plans, view due dates, and add/update project team members.
How do I start my application?
Your first step is to fill out and submit the appropriate form: Site Plan Review application, Fire Engineering or a Building Permit application. Once your application is received and entered into the system, you'll receive an email invitation to ProjectDox and upload your plans. This initial process may take a few days.
Apply for the following permits at the City of Saint Paul Department of Safety and Inspections office (375 Jackson Street, 2nd floor) and provide your email address to start the online review process:
What happens after I submit my application?
- You can expect to get a link through the email address you provided on the application
- Once a Site Review or Building Review application is submitted to DSI, customers will receive an email inviting them to log into the portal and create an Electronic Plan Review account.
- Applicants may upload documents and start communicating directly with City staff as soon as they create an account.
- Upload required documents for your type of review through the ProjectDox site
- Applicants may log directly into the portal planreview.stpaul.gov/ProjectDox or follow their emailed project invitation link
- First-time users will be asked to create an account; you can find a video showing how to do this on the Electronic Plan Review page.
- SPR Requirements
- BPR Requirements
- Plans are reviewed
- Using the Electronic Plan Review system, customers may immediately view their project status.
- Receive corrections
- Because the documents are shared online, City departments may now work concurrently rather than wait for each staff member to finish their analysis before passing along documents to the next reviewer.
- Applicant teams will be able to see City staff from each reviewing division or department (Zoning, Public Works, Planning, etc.) sign off or add their own questions/concerns to plans
- Upload corrections
- Customers can respond to each requested correction or question
- Pay fees
- Customers will receive email invoices, which they may pay online or in person
- Download stamped plans
- After plans have been stamped and all fees are paid, plans will be available for immediate download.
For more detailed step-by-step instructions, visit our “How to use ProjectDox in St. Paul” page.
Will I need to purchase anything additional to participate in Electronic Plan Review?
Other than the regular fees associated with the permit or review process, there are no additional software costs associated with ProjectDox.
Does ProjectDox work best with a specific browser?
Recommended browsers for optimal utilization of ProjectDox are Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
What computer settings are best for Electronic Plan Review?
ProjectDox is a web-based application so it’s available anywhere customers have an Internet connection. You will need a compatible web browser (Internet Explorer is recommended by Avolve but Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge will work).
Regardless of the browser, turn off the site’s pop-up blocker.
If you’re using Internet Explorer, you will need to perform the following additional configurations (one time only):
- Add ProjectDox to “Trusted Site”
- Install ProjectDox Components
- Disable the UAC (User Access Control) to install ProjectDox components
Will documents need to be named in specific format?
Yes. All submitted drawings and documents will be required to follow the City of Saint Paul’s standard naming convention, which can be viewed in the Applicant User Guide on the Electronic Plan Review page.
Will the City of Saint Paul continue with its preliminary review process?
Preliminary reviews will continue after Electronic Plan Review goes live to ensure all projects are fully prepared to move through the process.
Can I submit paper plans after Electronic Plan Review goes live?
The City will continue to accept paper plans for building permits.
Site Plan Reviews are conducted using the ProjectDox software.
Is customer training available?
The City of Saint Paul hosted community training events, explaining how the system works, when the service was launched.
The Department of Safety and Inspections’ technical staff are available to answer questions and help customers walk through account set up, etc. For technical assistance with Electronic Plan Review, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Now that Saint Paul Has Electronic Plan Review can I still visit the City to speak with staff?
Of course! During business hours customers who wish to meet with City staff are welcome to visit and discuss any concerns or questions about an application or a process.
DSI is located at 375 Jackson St., Suite 220; Saint Paul, MN 55101