Repairs of Building Drain and/or Storm Drain Inside Structure

Homeowners / homesteaders may apply for a permit to install plumbing, gas fitting, and inside water piping work on one and two-family dwellings.  For two-family dwellings, the homeowner / homesteader may only install general plumbing work in the unit they live in.  All homeowners / homesteaders are required to complete a Homeowner’s Affidavit and Plumbing permit application.

Homeowners / homesteaders are not allowed to install their own plumbing for the following:

  • New single-family dwellings
  • New duplex or any other new residential unit
  • Vacant buildings
  • Commercial property

Homeowners applying for Plumbing, Gas Fitting, and Inside Water Piping Permits must apply in person. The only plumbing permits available online are repair and/or replace for contractors only.

Plumbing Permit Application

Homeowners Affidavit

If you have any questions about what type of permit you need to obtain, please call 651-266-8989 for more information.

Commercial Plumbing Contractors Permit Regulations

Inside the Structure

A Plumbing / Gas Fitting Contractor must be  properly licensed and obtain permits to engage in the business, trade or work having to do with the installation, remodel, alteration or repair of plumbing and gas systems, or part thereof, in the City of Saint Paul. For more information click here.

A plumbing plan review may be required. See Plumbing Plan Review for more information.

Plumbing Permit Application

Outside the Structure

For sewer work outside the structure, please see the City of Saint Paul Department of Public Works Sewer Utilities

Exception: outside gravity grease interceptors are permitted through DSI.  Permits may be obtained by licenses contractors only. Note: please use line 14 on the permit application for this work.

Plumbing Permit Application

Individual Sewage Treatment Systems (Septic Systems)

This permit may only be issued to a MPCA registered professional who is endorsed to do this work.  If you have any questions, contact DSI at 651-266-9052, or email the DSI Message Center.

For additional information regarding these systems, please visit our Septic Systems webpage.

Code Requirements

See Chapter 33.03 and Chapter 33.04 of the City of Saint Paul Legislative Code for information about plumbing work and fees.

Expiration & Renewal

Each permit issued shall expire if the work authorized by the permit is not commenced within 180 days from the date issued, or if the work is suspended or abandoned at any time after the work has begun for a period of 180 days.

In addition, exterior work done on a one or two-family dwelling (including garages) must be completed within one year from the date issued.

Interior and exterior work done on commercial properties (including hotels and apartment buildings) where the permit valuation is under $500,000 must be completed within one year from the date issued.

See Chapter 33.04 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code. 

Last Edited: June 12, 2024