A brewer who manufactures fewer than three thousand five hundred (3,500) barrels of malt liquor in a year, or a micro distillery may obtain a temporary on-sale license to sell intoxicating liquor for consumption on the licensed premise only and in connection with a social event within the City sponsored by the licensee. The city shall not authorize more than (3) four-day, four (4) three-day, six (6) two-day or twelve (12) one-day temporary licenses, in any combination not to exceed twelve (12) days per year for the sale of intoxicating liquor to any one (1) location within the city for a twelve -month period. The city may not issue more than one (1) such license to any one (1) brewery or micro distillery or any one (1) location, within a thirty-day period unless the licenses are issued in connection with an event officially designated a community festival by the municipality. If you have questions, contact DSI at 651-266-8989, or email the DSI Message Center.
See Chapter 409.25 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for information about temporary on sale liquor licenses.
IN ORDER TO COMPLY WITH THE STATE OF MN ALCOHOL GAMBLING AND ENFORCEMENT DIVISION SUBMITTAL DEADLINE, COMPLETED APPLICATIONS AND ALL SUPPORTING REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION LISTED BELOW MUST BE RECEIVED IN DSI AT LEAST 30 DAYS PRIOR TO THE EVENT DATE.
- Class T City License Application
- State of Minnesota Temporary License Application
- Brewery may not produce more than three thousand five hundred (3,500) barrels of malt liquor in a year.
- A letter of intent for requesting the temporary license (including the nature of the event, whether it is public or private, address of the event, date and hours during which liquor will be sold / served.) The letter must indicate that the brewery does not produce more than 3,500 barrels of malt liquor in a year
- A letter of consent allowing alcohol service from owner lawfully responsible for premise where alcohol will be served indicating the address/location for which license is requested
- A Liquor Liability Certificate of Insurance (including the corporate name, DBA, event address, policy number, and dates of liquor coverage. Our department must be listed as a certificate holder as follow: City of St. Paul, Department of Safety & Inspections, 375 Jackson Street, Suite 220, St. Paul, MN 55101)
- A copy of state brewers/micro distillers license or a copy of taproom/cocktail room license.
- Required fee
This license requires inspection approval from the Minnesota Department of Health 651-201-4500 and Licensing 651-266-8989.
The fee for a Liquor On Sale (Temporary) Brewery/Distillery $54.00 per day of each event.
A Liquor On Sale (Temporary) Brewery/Distillery License is valid only during the date(s) of the specific event.