General Information

The City of Saint Paul requires that all residential building contractors and residential remodelers performing general building or remodeling on a structure that has four or less dwelling units (including detached garages) be licensed. The City honors the State of Minnesota Residential Building Contractor License. If the contractor has a State Exemption from the State of Minnesota or performs only one special skill, then a City of Saint Paul Building Contractor license is required. The owner of the structure does not need a license if they are doing the general building or remodeling themselves. Contractors performing two or more special skills require a State of Minnesota Residential Building Contractor License or a State of Minnesota Residential Remodeler License. Roofing requires a State of Minnesota Residential Roofer License.

Visit the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry website to apply for one of these licenses.

Code Requirements

See Chapter 326 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for information about building contractors.

Application Requirements

You must submit the following:

  • A completed DSI Class R License Application
  • Proof of State exemption, if applicable
  • A $2,500 License, Permit and Performance Bond
  • A Certificate of Insurance: General liability in the amount of $25,000/$50,000 and Property Damage in the amount of $5,000. The City of Saint Paul must be named as an additional insured and there must be 30-day notice of cancellation
  • The required fee

Contact DSI at 651-266-8989, or send an email to the DSI Message Center.


See Fee Table for current License fees.


A City of Saint Paul Contractor License expires the date the State of Minnesota Exemption card expires. However, if the insurance and/or bond expires on a date before the expiration date of the State of Minnesota exemption card, the City License will expire concurrent with the insurance and/or bond (whichever is first).

Last Edited: June 10, 2024