For any kind of loud, persistent noise, day or night (from machinery, construction, a business, or an event), state or City regulations related to sound level limits may apply. Noise limits generally are stricter for residential areas, especially at night, than for commercial or industrial areas.

Call the City at 651-266-8989 to report noise that may be louder than what is permitted. An inspector may contact the operator, come out with a sound meter, measure the loudness and duration of the sound, and determine whether there is a violation. If there is a violation, the City may discuss with the responsible person ways to reduce the noise level. They can also issue orders and enforce the noise limits.

Dogs must not be allowed to howl, yelp, or bark to the “reasonable annoyance of another person,” per City Ordinance Section 200.14, which may be found here.

First complaints may result in an advisement to the dog owner. Subsequent offenses or complaints could result in citations or impoundment of the animal. Two witnesses, or an Officer and one witness, willing to testify that the violation was observed, are necessary before the citation or impoundment can occur.

If you have a barking dog problem in your neighborhood, call Saint Paul Animal Control during normal business hours at 651-266-1100. After business hours call the Saint Paul Police non-emergency number at 651-291-1111 to make a report.

Certain types of bothersome or irritating noises are illegal. These excessive noises are regulated by the police:

  • Noisy parties in private homes or apartments
  • Radios, paging systems, musical instruments must not be too loud after 10:00 pm.
  • Noise from a bar or similar business, including noisy patrons outside the bar (may also include disorderly conduct)
  • Vehicle noises may be illegal if they are from noisy mufflers, no exhaust system, or car stereos. Also vehicles that make very loud grating, grinding, or rattling noises may be reported to police. This applies to defective loads or honking the horn for reasons other than emergencies.
  • Owners or operators of vehicles with booming stereos may be fined up to $500 for a second offense for playing music loud enough to be heard at 50 feet away.
    • The police can write a citation or correction order that a vehicle be repaired. In most cases, the police must hear the noise in order to tag the vehicle.
    • If the car with the noisy muffler belongs to your neighbor, you can also call the police with a complaint and they can come out, inspect it, and possibly tag it. The police may ask you to sign a complaint about the vehicle.
  • Domestic power tools such as saws, drills, lawnmowers, and snowblowers must be quiet between 10:00 pm and 7:00 am.

Making a Noise Complaint to Police

  • To file a noise complaint, call the SPPD non-emergency line at 651-291-1111. When you call the Police for these noises, an officer can come out to address the concern; however, depending upon work-load, there may be a delay in response time.

Last Edited: December 18, 2021