The City of Saint Paul plans to reconstruct Grand Avenue from Fairview Avenue to Snelling Avenue in 2024. The project includes demolition and replacement of the pavement, sidewalks, and underground utilities along the corridor. This is the first full reconstruction of this section of Grand Avenue in many decades and presents an opportunity to refresh the historic street to better accommodate all modes of travel to and along the corridor.
The Public Works goals of the project are to:
- Improve safety along the corridor, with an emphasis on pedestrian crossing safety
- Upgrade and modernize ageing infrastructure
- Improve built environment to better serve Grand Avenue businesses
- Improve transit user experience
- Balance mode share to encourage non-automotive trips along and to the corridor
- Improve pedestrian crossing interactions/placemaking through Macalester College campus
Grand Avenue from Fairview Avenue to Snelling Avenue
Community engagement will run through early 2023. Scroll down to view upcoming opportunities to learn more about the preferred design and leave feedback.
Final designs and construction documents will be completed in 2023. Construction for the entire project extent is scheduled to begin in 2024 and run from May to November.
Thank You for Your Feedback
Thank you to all who attended any of the events held over the past year for Grand Avenue. Your input has been important to Public Works to ensure a design for Grand Avenue is one which is responsive to community input and desires.
Thank you for your input during the first phase of engagement for the Grand Avenue reconstruction.
View the Phase 2 Engagement Summary and Existing Conditions Report for a summary of the input received through both phases of project engagement. Also see the interactive map to view comments received during Phase 1 Engagement.