Restaurants & Bars Reopening Information

Business License Measures to Support Restaurants and Bars

Business License Measures to Support Bars and Restaurants During Stay Safe MN 

The City of Saint Paul has streamlined processes for restaurant and bar owners who wish to safely reopen on June 1, as permitted by the Governor’s executive orders.  On May 27, 2020, Mayor Melvin Carter issued executive order 2020-10, which allows for expanded use of outdoor space, streamlines some procedures, and waives associated fees.  

The Mayor’s order covers restaurants, bars, brew-on-premise, general retail and other businesses.  The order supplements guidance enforced by the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) COVID-19, requiring businesses to: 

  • Develop and implement a COVID-19 Preparedness Plan; 
  • Open for outdoor dining or curbside pickup/delivery only; 
  • Ensure at least 6 feet of distance with maximum on-premises capacity to no more than 50 persons; 
  • Limit table service to 4 persons, or 6 if part of one family unit; 
  • Require reservations; do not allow walk-in customers; 
  • Require masks or face shields to be worn by workers and strongly recommend masks for all customers; and 
  • Establish regular disinfection routine and train workers. 

The order covers businesses that currently hold active, unexpired sidewalk café permits and seasonal outside service area (patio) licenses, and those businesses that need such permits and license.  

City Permit and License Requirements   

If I  am a...

To begin operations...

Business owner who holds an active Seasonal Outside Service Area (patio and/or sidewalk café) license and/or 2020 Sidewalk Café permit.  I will not be expanding any of my outdoor service area(s) and will not be applying for a Temporary C-19 Seasonal Outdoor Service Area license.    

You may open on June 1, under the terms of your existing license and/or permit, provided you follow DEED guidance and other legal requirements, such as Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations.   

Business owner who wants to expand the footprint of an existing seasonal outdoor service area (patio or sidewalk café) into my own private property (such as my business’s adjacent parking area) or property not owned by me. 

You may open only your existing seasonal outdoor service area(s) on June 1. To expand the footprint of an existing outdoor service area you need to submit an application for a Temporary C-19 Seasonal Outside Service Area license, and comply with the Liquor, Wine or Beer Requirements below. You also need to follow DEED guidance and other legal requirements, such as Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations. The City will contact you with any questions about the proof of insurance already on file.

Business owner who does not have a 2020 liquor license or Sidewalk Café permit.  I want to create an outside seating area to serve food and non-alcoholic beverages on the sidewalk.   

Submit an application for a Temporary C-19 Right of Way Obstruction permit.  You may proceed with opening June 1 if you submit a signed application and required insurance policy, follow DEED guidance and other legal requirements, such as ADA regulations. 

Business owner who has an active, unexpired liquor license.  I want to create a new outdoor service area on the sidewalk and serve liquor, wine or beer there.   

You may not proceed with operations on June 1. You must submit an application for a Temporary C-19 Seasonal Outside Service Area license and a Temporary C-19 Right of Way Obstruction permit You must also follow the Liquor, Wine or Beer Requirements below. 

Liquor, wine or beer requirements 

Businesses that hold a license to serve liquor, or wine and/or beer, and wish to expand their current Liquor-Seasonal Outside Service Area (Patio) license service area and/or expand their Liquor Sidewalk Café license service area will need to submit an application for a Temporary C-19 Seasonal Outside Service Area license and include the following:               

  1. Site Plan - a drawing of the “compact and contiguous area” (per Minnesota State Statute) where the desired expansion of alcohol service will take place, showing table and chair placement 6 feet apart from one another. The drawing must also designate the location of any charitable gambling equipment if applicable.   
  2. Land Use Authorization - Proof of ownership of service area(s) designated for expansion, or a written agreement showing that the neighboring private property owner authorizes the use of the area(s) designated for expansion.  
  3. Insurance - General liability certificates that name the City will be required for applicants who want to establish new service areas on public property (sidewalks) or expand the service area of an existing, actively issued Liquor Sidewalk Café license.  More information on insurance requirements is available through the City. 

Requirements temporarily suspended for Seasonal Outside Service Area licenses and Sidewalk Cafe permits included in the Mayor’s order: 

  • All permit and license fees are waived; 
  • Public hearing and notice requirements are waived; 
  • Consent of neighboring property owners is waived, provided that legal authority exists (i.e., an agreement with a neighboring property owner) to use the proposed outdoor space; 
  • Business and temporary sign regulations are waived, except for traffic and safety sign requirements; 
  • Off-street parking requirements are waived, provided the establishment has the legal right to occupy the area and the parking is not required by the Americans with Disabilities Act; and 
  • Requirements for Conditional Use Permits are waived.   

Sidewalk Café permits 

To support the reopening and operation of restaurants under the current federal and state guidelines, Saint Paul Public Works is allowing food establishments, such as restaurants and coffee shops, to establish temporary outdoor eating areas. A business looking to create an outdoor eating area in the public right of way during the COVID-19 pandemic must obtain a Temporary C-19 Sidewalk Cafe Permit. For more information about the Temporary C-19 Sidewalk Cafe Permit and Right of Way (ROW) applications, please review the following documents:

If you have questions about your existing Seasonal Outdoor Service Area license, or how to apply for a Temporary C-19 Outdoor Service Area license, please contact Ross Haddow at

Receive licensing and permitting materials by email 

Receive materials and assistance by email