Noise Ordinance


The noise ordinance contains a number of exemptions such as emergency vehicles, snowplows, parades, and one-day festivals. The City Council can grant a variance from the noise limits for a specific purpose after a public hearing. Neighboring residents and the District Council are notified about variances.

Noises Not Covered by Noise Ordinance

You should also be aware that the City's noise ordinance does not cover noise from railroads (except if a whistle is being blown for non-warning situation), airplanes, general road noise, or barges. Call the MPCA at 651-296-6300 for information and possible help with these problems. You may also contact the Metropolitan Airports Commission at 612-726-9411 for information about airport noise.

Return to Noise