Construction and Development

When is a building permit required?

Building permits are required for the following projects in  one- or two-family residences, multi-family residences, or buildings for commercial, industrial, or institutional use:

  • Building a new structure
  • Adding an addition to current structure
  • Remodeling or repairing a structure

Where can I find building information and permit applications?

For a detailed list of when a permit is required, and for information and applications, visit this page.

What types of permits can I get online?

Online permits may be accessed by professional contractors; for a full list of permits available online, check here.

What projects require a Site Plan Review?

Site Plans are reviewed through Electronic Plan Review; to learn more about the process, visit this page.


What types of licenses does the City require of businesses?

For a list of City business licenses, visit this page. To learn more about food establishment licenses, follow this link to the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.

What do I need to know to open or expand a business?

The City offers a step-by-step guide to opening a business in Saint Paul, available at this site.

Where can I learn if my proposed use is allowed in my zoning district?

An interactive zoning map of Saint Paul may be found when you click here.

You may also learn more about the intent of each zoning district by visiting this page

Report a Concern

To report graffiti, un-shoveled sidewalks, and in the summer, tall grass and weeds (higher  than 8 inches) among other concerns, visit our Report A Concern page or use the City’s “Report An Incident” form, found here.

The City Information and Complaint line uses Language Line, which provides on-demand interpreters to support non-English speaking callers. Relying on this service, team members can connect to live interpreters in seconds, providing assistance in more than 200 languages. 

Last Edited: December 18, 2021