Building Information & Applications
Permit Review times during COVID-19
Due to ongoing restrictions associated with the COVID-19 outbreak, standard building permit review times will be longer than normal. In order to reduce interruptions, please do not contact Plan Review for a status update until two weeks have passed so they may focus on approving your application.
We are making every effort to remain operational during this period and provide our permitting services, with most building permit review work being done remotely to maintain social distancing requirements for our staff.
Currently, NO GENERAL BUILDING PERMITS are processed same day.
What you need to know before applying for a permit
- When is a permit required?
- If you hire a contractor, the contractor will apply for the permit.
Steps to obtain a building permit
Homeowner: The following 2 forms will need to be completed, signed and submitted along with the construction plans.
Licensed Building Contractor
- General Building Permit Application
- Contractor Express Permit
- Online Permitting System : Building Contractors may register to obtain Building Contractor Express Permits and Stucco/Plaster Permits online.
Submittal Methods for Permit Applications
- Email: Applications accepted via email include General Building Permit, Fence Permit/Plan Review, and Demolition Permits. (NOTE: When submitting permit applications and plans via email, please be sure all attachments are pdf file format only. Please, convert PNG, JPEG, etc files to pdf before submitting your application.) DO NOT INCLUDE CREDIT CARD INFORMATION ON ANY APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY EMAIL mailto:DSI-BuildingPlanReview@ci.stpaul.mn.us
- Fax: 651-266-9124
- Mail: Department of Safety and Inspections, 375 Jackson St, Suite 220, Saint Paul, MN 55101-1806
- In person drop off: Applications and plans may be dropped off at our office. They will be processed in the order received and will not be processed the same day.
- Electronic Plan Review (ProjectDox)
- Follow this link for information on ProjectDox.
- A General Building Permit Application must be submitted per one of the above methods. Check “Yes” for Electronic Plan Review Requested and include an email address to receive upload link.
- Once the permit application is entered, you will receive an email with a link to upload your drawings.
- 2020 Building Plan Review Submittal Requirements - Commercial New/Addition
- Buildings that have local, national or state historic designation may need approval from the Heritage Preservation Commission before the permit may be approved. Please, visit the Heritage Preservation Webpage for more information and application requirements.
- Building Permit Fee Schedule
- Building Permit Instructions for Commercial, Industrial, and Institutional
- Construction Management Acknowledgement
- New Construction Energy Code Compliance Certificate (required for new residential construction)
Electronic Plan Review
Building Site Plan
Deck / Porch
- Requirements For Detached Garage
- For Detached Garage Electrical Checklist and Wiring Information see the Electrical Inspections Page
- Garage Fee Schedule
- Garage Inspection Procedure / Building Height Measurements
- Zoning Regulations for Accessory Buildings and Uses
- Reroofing: Asphalt or Fiberglass Shingles
- Reroofing Inspection Requirements
- Roof Drains
- Ventilation Requirements at Roof Sheathing
Visit the Zoning webpage for more information and application requirements.
Windows - New and Replacement
- Egress Window Handout
- Window and Door Replacement Guide
- Installation Guidelines for Glass Block Closure of Basement Windows
Miscellaneous Construction Forms A-Z
- Accessible Toilet Rooms Handout
- Air Sealing and Insulating Required by Code
- Call Before You Dig (locating underground utility lines)
- Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Chimney Flashing Procedure
- Code Alternate, Interpretation, or Modification Request Form
- Cold Weather Masonry Construction
- Erosion and Sediment Control
- Fill / Grading
- Hard-Wired Smoke Detector Installation Guidelines
- Home Ramp Project
- Heritage Preservation Commission (HPC) Design Review
- Information needed to issue a Dormer Permit
- Keybox Policies and Procedures Handout
- Minnesota Accessibility Code Handout
- Moving / Relocating A Structure Information And Applications Page
- Notching and Hole Boring Guide
- Preservative-Treated Wood Handout
- Public Works Right-of-Way Obstruction / Curb Cuts Information and Contact
- Residential Exterior Ramps Design Recommendations
- Residential Handrail, Guardrail, and Stairway Details
- Solar Permit Application Checklist
- Special Inspection Form
- Swimming Pools and Hot Tubs