DSI promotes the safety of Saint Paul’s housing stock for renters and homeowners. If you’re a tenant and your landlord is not making needed repairs, call 651-266-8989 and ask for an inspection. State law prohibits a landlord from evicting a tenant or increasing rent if you call to make a report. 

The City requires that all buildings, except for owner-occupied single family and duplex structures, have and maintain a Fire Certificate of Occupancy issued by DSI. Tenants can find specific properties in the City and review the most recent inspection grades those properties received through DSI's Certificate of Occupancy Map.

Prospective tenants can review inspection records for specific rental properties through Saint Paul's Property Search Portal.

Fair Housing

Fair housing is the right to choose housing free from unlawful discrimination. The Department of Planning and Economic Development (PED) provides funding, provides direct service, and promotes fair housing policies. Learn more about Fair Housing here.

Additional Resources

The Office of the Minnesota Attorney General offers a comprehensive consumer's guide to housing law and codes, rental lease agreements and much more. Visit the Minnesota Attorney General's website to find out how.

Free legal advice for repair problems may be obtained by calling the Housing Alliance Law Office at 651-222-4731. 

HOME Line is a nonprofit organization supporting tenants in Minnesota by providing free and low-cost legal and other services. Visit HOME Line's website or call 612-728-5767 to learn more.

Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services offers free legal assistance to low-income people in civil matters, including housing. For more information, Visit the Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services website or call 651-222-5863.


Being a landlord means accepting certain responsibilities for your property, as well as obligations to your tenants.

If you’re a landlord of a single-family rental or duplex and don’t live on the premises, you are required to register the property. To learn more about maintaining your rental property -- whether it's one or two-family, an apartment building, or a commercial building-- including the Fire Certificate of Occupancy program, visit this page

If you own single and/or duplex units, or you own more than one rental building, learn more about applying for a provisional fire certificate of occupancy. For questions call us at 651-266-8989. 

DSI’s Fire Inspections division offers everything you need to know to become a successful and responsible landlord. 

  • First-time landlords are encouraged to participate in Landlord 101, designed to provide a strong foundation for property management skills, as well as provide seasoned landlords a refresher course in tenant-landlord relationships and responsibilities. 
  • The course satisfies the requirements of SPLC 40.04(b)(4), requiring first-time Fire Certificate of Occupancy applicants to complete an approved course of instruction.

Additional resources for landlords in Saint Paul are listed here.

Dispute Resolution Center provides community mediation and restorative justice services in Dakota, Ramsey, and Washington Counties. Their phone number is 651-292-7791.

Last Edited: June 27, 2024