DSI Main Office/Permit Desk Phone: 651-266-8989
Building Inspectors' Office Phone: 651-266-9002
Address: 375 Jackson Street, Suite 220, Saint Paul, MN 55101
DSI Main Office/Permit Desk Hours: 7:30 am-4:30 pm (Mon - Fri), closed Weekends & Holidays275
Building Inspectors' Office Hours: 7:30 am-9:00 am (Mon - Fri), closed Weekends & Holidays
You are required to get a building permit for the following changes on one or two-family residences, multi-family residences, or buildings for commercial, industrial, or institutional use:
- Building a new structure
- Adding an addition to current structure
- Remodeling or repairing a structure
For more information see:
The referenced media source is missing and needs to be re-embedded.
- Applications & Information Page
- Building Inspectors Area Map (interactive map)
- Online Permit System
- New Roofing Policy
If you can't find the information you are looking for, contact the appropriate department.
- Zoning Section - Phone: 651-266-9008 for information about Zoning Code setbacks, lot coverage, land usage
- Building Plan Review Section - Phone: 651-266-9007 for information on Building Code construction and permit requirements
- Heritage Preservation Commission Staff - Phone: 651-266-9078 for information on historic districts or sites, design guidelines
For general information on permit requirements, email the DSI Message Center.