Site Plan Review is now Electronic!
All Site Plans submitted are now being reviewed electronically through Electronic Plan Review.
Customers need to go through the City’s Site Plan Review (SPR) approval process for new multifamily residences with three or more units and additions, new commercial buildings and additions, or parking lot reconstructions that involve more than a partial mill and overlay. The process involves a few steps.
Once a customer has a draft site plan , they should contact SPR staff to schedule a preliminary meeting to get any feedback or advice, before submitting the Site Plan Review application. When the application is received, a SPR meeting is set where City and other agency staff meet with the customer and provide written zoning decisions and code interpretations and requirements. After a customer submits a site plan that addresses the decisions and requirements, and receives approval, they may obtain the necessary building permits to do the work.
Site Plan Review Documents
Please click the following links to download the Site Plan Review application and supporting documents:
All Site Plan Review Applications and a completed Submittal Requirement documents must be sent to SitePlanReview@ci.stpaul.mn.us
To apply for and obtain site plan review approval, follow these simple steps:
- Create a basic site plan of your project and reach out to Site Plan Review Coordinators at SitePlanReview@ci.stpaul.mn.us if you have questions about completing your application or preparing application materials before applying.
- Complete the application form and submission checklist and email both to: SitePlanReview@ci.stpaul.mn.us
- Once staff enters your application into the system, you will receive two emails.
- Email 1: Notification of payment options. Online payments may be made using Saint Paul’s Online portal, Pay My Bill.
- Email 2: An Electronic Plan Review login link, which will enable you to upload plan sets. First-time users will also get a third email with a temporary login password and instructions to set up an Electronic Plan Review account.
- Customers can learn how to use the Electronic Plan Review platform here. Please note that any file incorrectly uploaded or applications that are found to be missing documents will be returned within 15 days, resulting in a delay of your project.
- Within a week of uploading all necessary documents, you will be contacted through Electronic Plan Review with a date and time for your review meeting with the SPR Committee. The SPR Committee is comprised of City staff from several departments plus outside partners and subject matter experts. [Note: SPR meetings are held virtually via the Internet (Skype or MS Teams). You can log in by computer, a phone app, or you may dial in to the meeting.]
- Within two weeks after the meeting, staff will send you and your project team a “Conditional Approval” letter summarizing any revisions requested for a final Site Plan Review Approval to be granted.
- You can upload site plan revisions, which meet the SPR Committee’s requirements, through your Electronic Plan Review account. You will be notified by email if your revised site plans do not meet the requested requirements. Once no corrections are needed, plans will be stamped as approved and available to download and a final approval letter will be issued and emailed to you.
For more detailed Site Plan Review process information visit these resources:
- Link to workflow chart
- Logging into Electronic Plan Review Quick Reference
- Applicant Upload Quick Reference
- Prescreen Corrections Quick Reference
- Applicant Resubmit Quick Reference
- Download Approved Plans Quick Reference
Reference the following documents for Site Plan Details:
- Submittal Deadlines - Based on receipt of complete electronic package
- Parking Lots
- Stormwater Management
- Stormwater Landscaping in Parking Lots
- Sediment Control
- Design Standards
- Planning Districts
- Tree Preservation
If you have any questions, please contact zoning office at 651-266-9008 or SitePlanReview@ci.stpaul.mn.us