Short Term Rental Host
A Short Term Rental Host license is required for any person who is the owner or tenant of a dwelling unit, or portion thereof who provides a dwelling unit for short-term rental use. Short term means a period of less than 30 days.
It is unlawful for any person to engage in a short-term rental advertisement or operate as a short-term rental host within the City without a valid Short-Term Rental Host license.
To obtain a Short Term Rental Host License, you must submit the following:
- Short Term Rental License Requirements
- If non-owner occupied - Current Fire Certificate of Occupancy (or a completed Provisional Fire Certificate of Occupancy Application and fee.)
- Pay License Fee ($42.00)
- Proof of Insurance: Either an ACORD Certificate of Insurance evidencing coverage of the short-term rental use in the aggregate of not less than $300,000 listing the licensing name and short-term rental address as the insured, and the "City of Saint Paul" as the certificate holder (Example of ACORD Certificate) OR indication on license application that you are only using Airbnb, VRBO and/or HomeAway. Airbnb, VRBO, and HomeAway are licensed short-term rental platforms in the City of Saint Paul. If using any other short-term rental platform, an ACORD certificate will need to be submitted to our office.
To renew a Short Term Rental Host License, you must submit the following:
- Annual Fee ($42.00)
- Signed Affidavit of Compliance
- Workers' Compensation Form
An invoice will be sent to the license holder with the above documents prior to the license expiring.
To issue or renew a Short Term Rental Host license, the Director and the Police Chief must investigate the application.
Fees, license term, and renewal
To obtain a Short Term Rental Host License, you are required to pay the license fee of $42.00 for each unit you are renting. The License will expire one year from the date of issuance and must be renewed annually. The annual license renewal fee is $42.00.
Short Term Rental Platforms
Short Term Rental Platform license is for a person or entity that provides a means through which an owner or tenant of a dwelling unit offers the dwelling unit for short-term rental use and from which the platform derives revenue. This service includes but is not limited to allowing a short-term rental host to advertise the dwelling unit for short-term rental use through a website provided by the short-term platform and providing a means for potential users to arrange payment for use of the short-term rental.
To issue or renew a Short Term Rental Platform License, the Director and the Police Chief must investigate the application.
See Saint Paul Legislative Code for more information about Short Term Rental licenses.
Questions? Please contact DSI at 651-266-8989, or email the DSI Message Center.