An Entertainment License is issued in conjunction with a Liquor - On Sale, Wine - On Sale, and/or Malt - On Sale License.   For information on providing entertainment on a temporary basis see Special Event licenses and Temporary Entertainment License.

There are three types of entertainment licenses:

  • Class A  -   Amplified or non-amplified music and/or singing by performers without limitation as to number, and group singing participated in by patrons of the establishment. (Includes karaoke)
  • Class B  -   All activities allowed in Class A, plus dancing by patrons to live, taped, or electronically produced music, and which may also permit volleyball and broomball participated in by patrons or guests of the licensed establishment plus stage shows, theater, and contests. In all of the activities in Classes A and B, all of the participants, including patrons, shall be fully clothed at all times.
  • Class C  -   All activities allowed in Classes A and B, plus performance by male or female performers without limitation as to number, where clothing is minimal but in compliance with Chapters 409.09 and 410.05 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code.

Code Requirements

See Chapter 411 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for information about entertainment establishments. 

Application Requirements

You must submit the following:


Your application will be administratively reviewed by DSI Licensing, Zoning and Fire Inspection staff. This review may include on site inspections(s) to verify compliance with applicable regulations. You will be informed of any required inspections including the name and telephone number of the inspector after the submission of a completed license application. The location must be in compliance with all applicable regulations and/or license conditions before any license may be issued.   This license application is also subject to the Public Notification Administrative Process.


See Fee Table for current License fees


An Entertainment License will expire one year from date of issuance and may be renewed annually.

Last Edited: February 9, 2024