Liquor - On Sale License
These licenses are for the sale of liquor by the glass for consumption on the premises where sold. A Restaurant License is required in conjunction with all new Liquor - On Sale Licenses except in the Downtown Business District and the Commercial Development Districts. Liquor establishments must be more than 300 feet from churches and schools. Wine and Malt On-Sale (Strong) Licenses require the sale of alcohol to occur in conjunction with the sale and service of food. Additionally, at least sixty (60) percent of total sales must be attributable to the sale of food. Full On-Sale Liquor Licenses for new establishments located outside of the Downtown Business District and Commercial Development Districts can only be issued to hotels, restaurants, and non-profit private colleges. Restaurants require at least sixty (60) percent of all sales be attributable to the sale of food. If you have questions, contact a DSI Project Facilitator at 651-266-8989, or email the DSI Message Center.
See Chapter 409 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for information about on sale liquor licenses.
You must submit the following:
- Liquor license on-sale application check list
- Required Application Forms:
- Your application will be administratively reviewed by DSI Licensing, Zoning and Fire Inspection staff. This review may include on site inspections(s) to verify compliance with applicable regulations. You will be informed of any required inspections including the name and telephone number of the inspector after the submission of a completed license application. The location must be in compliance with all applicable regulations and/or license conditions before any license may be issued.
- This license application is subject to the Public Notification Administrative Process.
- You will be required to obtain a Buyers Card ($20) through the State of Minnesota, Liquor Control Division at 444 Cedar Street, Suite 222, Saint Paul, MN 55101. You can also call them at 651-201-7500.
100 seats or less $4,891.00
101-180 seats $5,416.00
181-291 seats $5,802.00
291 or more seats $5,882.00
A Liquor - On Sale License will expire one year from date of issuance (or expire with Liquor Liability expiration date) and may be renewed annually.