The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), the federal Environmental Protection Agency, and other federal agencies have jurisdiction and knowledge required for hazardous waste cleanup or hazardous waste transportation. For a hazardous waste site, call the MPCA to find out what is being done, what can be done, and who is doing it. In some cases, the City can clean up old dumps or other long-standing hazardous wastes on a property using the same type of procedure involved in demolishing a vacant building. 

Reporting Hazardous Waste

If you see a hazardous waste spill that is an immediate threat to life or property, call 9-1-1 for a Saint Paul Fire Department response. All three fire districts in the City have a hazardous materials coordinator. You can also call the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) at 651-296-6300 to report an emergency or non-emergency spill. To learn about hazardous waste visit the MPCA’s website here

Last Edited: December 18, 2021