Available Permits

Permits available in this category include:

  • Gas Dryer
  • Gas Log Fireplace
  • Gas Range
  • Gas Water Heater
  • Other Gas Devices

Permit Regulations

Homeowners / homesteaders may take out a permit to do plumbing, gas fitting, and inside water piping work on one and two-family dwellings. For two-family dwelling units the homeowner / homesteader may only do the general plumbing work in the side / half that they live in. Homeowners / homesteaders are not allowed to do their own plumbing for the following:

  • New single-family dwellings
  • New duplex or any other new residential unit
  • Vacant buildings
  • Commercial property

Licensed plumbing contractors with the City of St. Paul must obtain permits to do any plumbing work.

Fees - Gas Only



Minimum permit fee


Per unit - Gas


If unit BTU's greater than 100,000, additional fee for each 100,000 BTU's or fraction thereof


State Surcharge


Code Requirements

See Chapter 33of the City of Saint Paul Legislative Code for information.

Last Edited: February 4, 2022