Relocate / Move a Structure Permit

General Information

A permit is required to move buildings into, within, through, or out of the City of Saint Paul. Moving contractors licensed by the State of Minnesota may obtain permits to move buildings. Requirements vary according to the size and type of the structure to be moved. Contact a Plan Reviewer for specific information at 651-266-9007. If you have questions, contact DSI at 651-266-8989, or email the DSI Message Center.

Code Requirements

See Chapter 47 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for information about house movers.

Application Requirements

Applying for a Moving Permit is a two step process. First, you must submit the following:

After the structure inspection has been successfully completed, you must submit the following:


Please call the inspector listed on your permit for required inspection(s), between 7:30 am and 9:00 am, Monday - Friday.

Expiration & Renewal

Each permit issued shall expire if the work authorized by the permit is not commenced within 180 days from the date issued, or if the work is suspended or abandoned at any time after the work has begun for a period of 180 days. In addition, exterior work done on a one or two-family dwelling (including garages) must be completed within one year from the date issued. Interior and exterior work done on commercial properties (including hotels and apartment buildings) where the permit valuation is under $500,000 must be completed within one year from the date issued. For more information, see Chapter 33.04 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code.