Short Term Rental Host
A Short Term Rental Host license is required for any person who is the owner or tenant of a dwelling unit, or portion thereof who provides a dwelling unit for short-term rental use. Short term means a period of less than thirty (30) days. It is unlawful for any person to engage in a short-term rental advertisement or operate as a short-term rental host within the City without a valid Short-Term Rental Host license. If you have questions, contact DSI at 651-266-8989, or email the DSI Message Center.
See Section 379 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for more information about Short Term Rental Host Requirements.
To obtain a Short Term Rental Host License, you must submit the following:
- Short Term Rental License Requirements
- Complete license application
- If non-owner occupied - Current Fire Certificate of Occupancy (or a completed Provisional Fire Certificate of Occupancy Application and fee.)
- Pay License Fee ($40)
- Proof of Insurance: Either an ACORD Certificate of Insurance evidencing coverage of the short-term rental use in the aggregate of not less than $300,000 listing the licensing name and short-term rental address as the insured, and the "City of Saint Paul" as the certificate holder (Example of ACORD Certificate) OR a written declaration on the license application stating "only conducting short-term-rentals through Airbnb, VRBO and/or HomeAway." Airbnb, VRBO, and HomeAway are licensed short-term rental platforms in the City of Saint Paul. If using any other short-term rental platform, an ACORD certificate will need to be submitted to our office.
To renew a Short Term Rental Host License, you must submit the following:
- Annual Fee ($40)
- Signed Affidavit of Compliance
- Workers' Compensation Form
An invoice will be sent to the license holder with the above documents prior to the expiration of the license.
In order to issue for or renew a Short Term Rental Host license, the Director and the Police Chief must investigate the application.
In order to obtain a Short Term Rental Host License, you are required to pay the license fee of $40 for each unit you are renting.
Expiration & Renewal
A Short Term Rental Host License will expire one year from the date of issuance and must be renewed annually. The annual License renewal fee is $40.