Short Term Rental Host
A Short Term Rental Host license is required for any person who is the owner or tenant of a dwelling unit, or portion thereof who provides a dwelling unit for short-term rental use. It is unlawful for any person to engage in a short-term rental advertisement or operate as a short-term rental host within the City without a valid Short-Term Rental Host license. If you have questions, contact DSI at 651-266-8989, or email the DSI Message Center.
See The Saint Paul Legislative Code for more information about Short Term Rental Host Requirements.
To obtain a Short Term Rental Host License, you must submit the following:
* Applications may be submitted no earlier than 9:00am on December 2, 2017. Applications received before then will be returned. Licenses will be reviewed and issued in the order they are received.
- Short Term Rental License Requirements
- Complete license application
- If non-owner occupied - Current Fire Certificate of Occupancy (or a completed Provisional Fire Certificate of Occupancy Application and fee.)
- Pay License Fee
- Proof of Insurance- Either an ACORD Certificate of Insurance evidencing coverage of the short-term rental use in the aggregate of not less than $300,000 listing the licensing name and short-term rental address as the insured, and the "City of Saint Paul" as the certificate holder OR proof of conducting short-term rental transactions through a short-term rental platform that provides equal or greater coverage. (Example of ACORD Certificate)
To renew a Short Term Rental Host License, you must submit the following:
- Pay Annual Fee
- Provide proof of Lodging and Sales tax payment
- Provide review of lodging log
- Certificate of Insurance or proof of conducting short-term rental transactions through a short-term platform that provides ordinance-specified coverage.
In order to issue for or renew a Short Term Rental Host license, the Director and the Police Chief must investigate the application.
In order to obtain a Short Term Rental Host License, you are required to pay the license fee of $40 for each unit you are renting.
Expiration & Renewal
A Short Term Rental Host License will expire one year from the date of issuance and must be renewed annually. The annual License renewal fee is $40.