A Short Term Rental Host license is required for any person who is the owner or tenant of a dwelling unit, or portion thereof who provides a dwelling unit for short-term rental use. Short term means a period of less than thirty (30) days. It is unlawful for any person to engage in a short-term rental advertisement or operate as a short-term rental host within the City without a valid Short-Term Rental Host license. If you have questions, contact DSI at 651-266-8989, or email the DSI Message Center.
See Section 379 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for more information about Short Term Rental Host Requirements.
To obtain a Short Term Rental Host License, you must submit the following:
- Short Term Rental License Requirements
- Complete license application
- If non-owner occupied - Current Fire Certificate of Occupancy (or a completed Provisional Fire Certificate of Occupancy Application and fee.)
- Pay License Fee ($41)
- Proof of Insurance: Either an ACORD Certificate of Insurance evidencing coverage of the short-term rental use in the aggregate of not less than $300,000 listing the licensing name and short-term rental address as the insured, and the "City of Saint Paul" as the certificate holder (Example of ACORD Certificate) OR indication on license application that you are only using Airbnb, VRBO and/or HomeAway. Airbnb, VRBO, and HomeAway are licensed short-term rental platforms in the City of Saint Paul. If using any other short-term rental platform, an ACORD certificate will need to be submitted to our office.
To renew a Short Term Rental Host License, you must submit the following:
- Annual Fee ($41)
- Signed Affidavit of Compliance
- Workers' Compensation Form
An invoice will be sent to the license holder with the above documents prior to the expiration of the license.
In order to issue for or renew a Short Term Rental Host license, the Director and the Police Chief must investigate the application.
In order to obtain a Short Term Rental Host License, you are required to pay the license fee of $41 for each unit you are renting.
Expiration & Renewal
A Short Term Rental Host License will expire one year from the date of issuance and must be renewed annually. The annual License renewal fee is $41.