Cultural STAR provides grants and loans to Saint Paul cultural projects and organizations. Most projects are located in the Saint Paul Cultural District (bordered by I-94 to the north Lafayette Bridge to the east Mississippi River to the south, and Chestnut Road to the west). Cultural STAR grows Saint Paul's economy by strengthening the arts and cultural sector and supporting Downtown as a vital cultural center.
The four major goals of Cultural STAR are:
- Build and diversify audiences;
- Promote a broad range of cultural offerings;
- Produce a long-term impact; and
- Leverage additional financial support.
Cultural STAR is funded by Saint Paul's half-cent sales tax.
There will be two rounds of Cultural STAR applications period in 2022. Most applicants can apply for one funding type per year.
The application deadline for Round One has passed. The Round Two application will be available on July 15.
- Application period begins: Tuesday, March 22
- Application deadline: Friday, April 29 at 4 p.m.
- Applicant interviews: June 2022 (schedule and location TBD)
- Eligible project dates: August 1, 2022 – July 31, 2023
Four information sessions were held for the 2022 Round One application cycle:
- Tuesday, March 29, 1 - 2 p.m. – Virtual (recording | slides)
- Wednesday, March 30, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. – Rondo Community Library (461 Dale St N)
- Monday, April 11, 5 - 6 p.m. – Virtual
- Thursday, April 14, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. – Central Library (90 W 4th St)
- Application period begins: Friday, July 15
- Application deadline: Friday, August 26 at 4 p.m.
- Applicant interviews: October 2022 (schedule and location TBD)
- Eligible project dates: January 1, 2023 – December 31, 2023
Other Helpful Materials
- Sample applications
- Contact program staff to request other sample applications that may provide additional insights into what makes a strong application.
- Application process section of the special projects, organizational development and capital project guidelines.
The Cultural STAR Program achieves the program purposes by making grants and loans for projects and programs that: attract audiences; develop and improve cultural facilities; and build capacity of artists and cultural organizations.
Review the program guidelines for more details about our three program types:
The Cultural STAR Board reviews all applications and makes funding recommendations to the Mayor and City Council. Board members are also asked to help promote the program to arts and cultural organizations, neighborhood and business groups, and others that may be interested.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until all seats are filled.