The Inspiring Communities program is a scattered site housing redevelopment strategy that was approved by the Saint Paul Housing and Redevelopment Authority (HRA) Board on October 9, 2013 through Resolution 13-1592. This strategy was created after an extensive analysis of HRA owned property. Recommendations on the disposition of HRA property were approved on July 26, 2013 through Resolution 13-1097 and were presented to neighborhood stakeholders on August 1, 2013.
Inspiring Communities provides focused investment in cluster areas in neighborhoods most impacted by foreclosure and vacancy. The program funds assist developers with development gap financing for construction of new housing on vacant lots or rehabilitation of vacant structures.
Inspiring Communities Goals:
- Utilize HRA property as a catalyst for neighborhood transformation
- Construct or rehabilitate lots or buildings to create a variety of housing opportunities in focused cluster areas
- Create job opportunities for local residents, Section 3 certified businesses, minority, women, or small businesses
- Inspire innovative, sustainable design and construction methods
The following sample documents may be useful to developers in preparing proposals or to whom projects have been awarded.
- Sworn Construction Affidavit
- Notice to Proceed
- Draw and title tracking form
- Construction pay application
- Change order form
- Certificate of Final Completion
- Dayton's Bluff Historic District Handbook
- Inspiring Communities Program Training Slides
Green Communities Resources
Projects with CDBG funding require certification through Enterprise Green Communities, including 275 Bates, 208-210 Bates, and 216-218 Bates.
- Enterprise Green Communities Certification Portal
- Green Products Guide produced by the City of Minneapolis
Inspiring Communities Development Compliance Documentation and Checklists
- Compliance Process and Checklist
- HUD Lead Safe Housing Requirements Screening Worksheet
- NSP1 MHFA Rehab Certification Form
- NSP3 MHFA Rehab Certification Form
- MHFA NSP Housing Improvement Standards
- Buyer Information Packet
- Identification of Sub and Prime Contractors
- Monthly Employment Utilization
- Purchase Agreement Addendum
Inspiring Communities - In the News
- Pioneer Press: St. Paul looks at vacant lots, envisions neighborhoods
- Pioneer Press: Dayton’s Bluff mainstays hope neighborhood is finally turning around
- An article about the Fourth Street Preservation Project, included in the heart of the Dayton’s Bluff cluster area
- A time lapse video of a deck and rain garden being built at an Inspiring Communities home. - Greater Frogtown Community Development Corporation is partnering with the Minnesota Chapter of the United States Green Building Council to rehab the house with the help of numerous volunteers.
- Kare 11: St. Paul's Innovative Program Saves Historic Houses