Records Unit


Effective Friday, March 27, the Records Unit, located on the third floor of the Headquarters Building, is no longer open to the public.

Police reports can be requested online, and we are waiving fees* for reports requested online. Please use the Saint Paul Data Practices Center to submit your request:

  • Visit
  • Click on the “Data Practices Request” button
  • Create an account or login
  • Fill out an easy form
  • Attach a copy of your state drivers license/ID, passport or military ID if you are the "subject of the data"
  • Submit your request.

We will process your request as soon as possible and email it to you at no charge (if the report is 100 pages or less). Please note that fees still apply to reports of more than 100 pages, body-worn camera videos, closed circuit television videos, in-car camera videos, audio and transcripts. Per MN Data Practices Law (Chapter 13), if you are the data subject, we must respond to your request within 10 business days. If you are not the data subject, it may take up to 30 business days to process your data request.

Please make your requests for police reports online. Thank you for helping us keep our staff and our neighbors healthy.

Gun Permits

To apply for a permit to purchase a firearm:

  • See the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension for information and application forms.
  • Download and print the application form.
  • Complete the application form.
  • Make a copy of one of the four accepted official IDs:
  1.      MN Driver's License
  2.      MN ID Card
  3.      US Military ID
  4.      Passport
  5.      Proof of Residency via official mail received at residence if not using a MN Driver's License or ID Card

Mail the completed application with a copy of one of the acceptable forms of ID to:

     Records Unit - Gun Permits
     St. Paul Police Department
     367 Grove Street
     Saint Paul MN 55101
OR email the completed application with a copy of one of the acceptable forms of ID to:

Applications must be legible and filled out thoroughly and the photos must be clear in the photocopy, otherwise your application may be delayed. City of Saint Paul is not responsible for applications and documentation lost prior to being received by the Saint Paul Police Department.

If you have any questions, please call the Records Unit at 651.266.5700.
There is NO walk-in window service at this time.

The Ramsey County Sheriff's Office is responsible for issuing all Conceal and Carry permits for Ramsey County. Please see the BCA Permit to Carry page and the Permit to Carry (Conceal and Carry) application.

The SPPD Records Unit mission is to provide quality customer service to members of our community, our department, and other governmental agencies within an atmosphere of individual integrity and mutual respect. The Records Unit is responsible for the accurate processing, storage, and appropriate dissemination of police report information in a timely and courteous manner, and the facilitation of the effective flow of information within the department in support of the goals and objectives of the SPPD mission.

Members of the public who wish to obtain public copies of accident and other police reports should come to the SPPD headquarters at 367 Grove Street, St. Paul, MN 55101, during public hours. Public hours are:

Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Open Information Saint Paul

Check out our Open Portal for public information on crime, traffic stop and pedestrian crash data before making a personal data request.


Requests for data can also be made online, through our request portal.

Traffic Accident reports for incidents reported October 1-October 7, 2020

The cost for copies of police reports is $0.25 per page. Questions regarding costs, directions, and other issues should be directed to the Records Unit main line at:


If you would prefer to make your data request by mail, please send your request to:

Custodian of Records
Saint Paul Police Department
367 Grove Street
Saint Paul, MN 55101

Please include contact information or your request may be delayed.


Please note: The Saint Paul Police Department Records Unit does not provide copies of State Accident Reports to members of the public, attorneys, insurance companies or other representatives. 

In order to obtain a copy of a State Accident Report, you must contact the MN Department of Public Safety, Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS), 445 Minnesota Street, Saint Paul MN 55101. Phone number 651.296.2940.  Reports may be obtained in person or by mail. The request form may be found at: