The Planning Commission is made up of 21 members serving three-year terms, with an opportunity to be reappointed for two terms. Members are appointed by the Mayor and approved by the City Council. They meet every other Friday, and serve on at least one additional committee: Communications and Nominations, Comprehensive and Neighborhood Planning, Transportation or Zoning.
Planning Commission Applications
Appointments are generally made when serving members have reached their term limits or when members leave the commission for other reasons
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and will be considered as openings become available (as current members resign or reach the end of their terms). Your application will be considered during the next set of appointment openings.
To apply, please visit our Online Committee Application, select "Planning Commission" from the menu and then click the “Apply” button.
Could I be a Planning Commissioner?
Planning Commissioners have diverse backgrounds in community development, including but not limited to:
- Life experiences: Young adults; seniors; renters; individuals with disabilities; parents
- Architecture, civil engineering, and/or urban design
- Arts and/or culturally-based programming
- Business/economic development
- City/urban planning, geography
- Community organizing
- Housing advocacy, development, and/or finance
- Public administration and/or finance
- Real estate
- Professional leadership
- Representatives of institutions located in Saint Paul