At the direction of the Mayor and City Council, the Planning Commission established a Transportation Committee in 2010.
The Transportation Committee advises the Planning Commission, the City Council and staff on transportation planning and project decisions, and creates a transparent public forum for such discussions. The committee’s work helps better integrate land use and transportation decisions as they relate to zoning, neighborhood and comprehensive planning, and infrastructure investments.
The Committee has been asked to:
- Implement policies from the Transportation Chapter of the Comprehensive Plan. Review transportation-related zoning amendments/studies, guide new modal plans, and oversee the work of any transportation issue task forces that may be convened.
- Review Public Works projects with a significant transportation element, as well as such projects from partner agencies like Ramsey County, MnDOT, or Metro Transit, to ensure consistency with citywide plans and policies.
- Review planning or design documents for consistency with “Complete Streets” approach and the City's Street Design Manual.
- Advise, where needed, on site plans or development concepts to ensure true transportation options.
- Engage in regional/interagency projects. Coordinate with the regional and federal governments in transportation planning, and provide guidance for priorities on funding opportunities.