Police Impound Lot
Auction is CANCELED until further notice
Impound Lot Unclaimed Vehicle Online Auction Timeline and Info:
Impound Lot Unclaimed Vehicle Online Auction Timeline and Information
Starts May 29
This auction is for vehicles at the SPPD Impound Lot, 830 Barge Channel Rd., Saint Paul, MN 55107. 651.266-5642
Friday, May 29: Online auction begins at 9 AM. In person viewing will be available (no cost), Friday May 29 and Monday June 1 @ 10am to 6pm. Social distance measures will be in place, must wear a mask, and you must walk in, no vehicles will be allowed to drive in. Please park in customer parking or street and see attendant at gate.
Saturday and Sunday: Online auction continues, no in person viewing.
Monday, June 1: Online auction continues, in person viewing allowed 10 AM to 6 PM. Rules same as Friday, May 29.
Tuesday, June 2: Online bidding progressively begins to close at noon (1 vehicle per minute), starting with vehicle #1, read rules carefully.
Wednesday, June 3 and Thursday, June 4: Buyers will come in person to pay and get 21 day permits if they qualify. Social distance measures in place, everyone must wear a mask. Limited number of people will be allowed in the garage to pay. Vehicles must be paid for between 9 AM and 6 PM on June 3 or June 4.
Friday June 5 – no payments will be received on June 5th. Additional load out time 9 am – 3 pm. All vehicles must be removed by 3 pm. No additional time, 3pm on this day is the load out end time for the auction.
Details on sale specifics are on auction website. All vehicles purchased must be paid for in cash or certified check only.
Effective 3.17.2020 @ 1600 hrs. EMERGENCY TOWING ONLY
*Due to COVID-19 & limiting the number of people coming to the Impound Lot
If your vehicle was towed:
- Standard tow - $194.18*
- Storage charge $15 each additional day starting at midnight.
- * Regular Police tows only, see Snow Emergency tab for Snow Tow information.
- Noted - Tow pricing may be higher depending on the type of tow service required.
If your vehicle was towed prior to 4/3/2020 @ 3 p.m.:
- First day $151.83*
- $15 each additional day starting at midnight.
- * Regular Police tows only.
- Tow pricing may be higher depending on the type of tow service required.
Vehicles towed by the Saint Paul Police Department are taken the Impound Lot, located at 830 Barge Channel Road. The Impound Lot is open every day from 8:00AM to 10:00PM. Contact:651.266.5642 (phone) 651.298.4938 (fax) View Larger Map Towed Vehicle Information: Within 72 hours of a vehicle being towed, the City of Saint Paul mails a notice to the registered owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is not picked up within 15 days of the notice, it may be sold at auction. To get a vehicle out of the Impound Lot, you will need:
- A valid Photo ID (State issued ID, Permit or Driver's License, Passport, Military ID or Consulate ID)
- Proof of Insurance: Current (up to date) insurance card or insurance binder for the vehicle that is currently impounded. This can be faxed to 651-298-4938.
If the vehicle is not currently registered in you name you will also need a Transferred Title, Bill of Sale or Lease Agreement. Visit the Releasing Your Vehicle page for more information.
Accepted forms of payment
- Business Checks- All checks are subject to approval by management.
What you need to get a vehicle out of Impound
- Proof of Ownership: Title, Bill of Sale or Lease Agreement
- Valid Photo ID* or Driver's License (a valid DL is needed to drive the car from the lot)**
- Proof of current insurance on the vehicle you are picking up
- Payment of all towing and storage fees
*Accepted forms of ID- State issued ID, Permit or Drivers License, Passport, Military ID or Consulate ID.
**If the owner of the vehicle does not have a drivers license they will need 2 licensed drivers to accompany them. If you take a cab, Uber or bus the registered owner must have 1 licensed driver along with the receipt from the cab or Uber, or a bus transfer.
If you are not the registered owner you will need
- Personal Vehicle - A notarized letter with a copy of the owners photo ID. Or you must have the same last name and address on your drivers license.
- Rental or Company owned vehicle - The company must be notified by the driver and will only be released with faxed authorization from the company.
- Repossession - An Affidavit of Repossession (or Writ of Replevin) and a lien holder's card are required in order to release a vehicle to a lien holder or their authorized representative- NO EXCEPTIONS!
Search for a Vehicle
Use the below form to find where you can retrieve your impounded vehicle and view any fines assessed against it.
These are vehicles with 5 or more unpaid parking violations, the owner of the vehicle must pay all fines for the tickets at the Violations Bureau 651-281-3219 (metro area) or 1-800-657-3611 and bring an "OK TO RELEASE FROM IMPOUND" stamped receipt before we can release the vehicle. You may also visit www.mncourts.gov for Violations Bureau information.
My car was stolen and towed to the impound lot and I do not want it anymore. Can I just leave it there?
Yes. "Junk Left to City" (JLTC) is a situation in which the owner no longer wants his/her vehicle and decides that they would like to turn the title and keys for the vehicle over to the city. No fees will be assessed to you for the impoundment of the vehicle if you junk it to the city. But you must still pay any and all tickets on the vehicle with the violations bureau.
Can I get my personal property out of my car before I leave it there?
No. "Junk Left to City" does not give the owner permission to remove personal property. All the impound fees must be paid in full before personal property can be removed.
Q: Can i get my vehicle towed out if I don't have Insurance?
A: No, all vehicles registered for road use in Minnesota must be insured per MN state Statues Chapter 65B and Chapter 169.
Q: Can I get my vehicle out of impound if I don't have a valid Driver's license?
A: Yes, but you must have 1 valid driver with you (that drove you here) and get the vehicle towed out or have 2 valid drivers with you 1 driver to bring you here and 1 to drive your vehicle out of impound.
Impound Lot Automobile Auction
DUE TO THE CORONA VIRUS SITUATION, ALL PUBLIC AUCTIONS ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Auction hotline: 651.266.5757
Public Auctions Auctions are held every other Thursday at 1:00 PM. Vehicles may be viewed beginning at 11:30 AM on the day of the auction.
Visit the Public Auction page for more information.
830 Barge Channel Road
Saint Paul, MN 55107
1129 Cathlin Street
Saint Paul, MN 55108