Police Impound Lot
Impound Fees as of 2/12/14
- First day $150.68**
- $15 each additional day starting at midnight.
- ** Regular Police Impounds only, this is not Snow Emergency pricing.
See Snow Emergency tab for Snow Tow info.
Accepted forms of payment
- Checks- All checks are subject to approval by management.
What you need to get a vehicle out of Impound
- Proof of Ownership: Title, Bill of Sale or Lease Agreement
- Valid Photo ID* or Driver's License (a valid DL is needed to drive the car from the lot)
- Proof of current insurance on the vehicle you are picking up
- Payment of all towing and storage fees
*Accepted forms of ID- State issued ID, Permit or Drivers License, Passport, Military ID or Consulate ID.
If you are not the registered owner you will need
- Personal Vehicle - A notarized letter with a copy of the owners photo ID.
- Rental or Company owned vehicle - The company must be notified by the driver and will only be released with faxed authorization from the company.
- Repossession - An Affidavit of Repossession (or Writ of Replevin) and a lien holder's card are required in order to release a vehicle to a lien holder or their authorized representative- NO EXCEPTIONS!
Search for a Vehicle
Use the below form to find where you can retrieve your impounded vehicle and view any fines assessed against it.
These are vehicles with 5 or more unpaid parking violations, the owner of the vehicle must pay all fines for the tickets at the Violations Bureau 651-281-3219 (metro area) or 1-800-657-3611 and bring an "OK TO RELEASE FROM IMPOUND" stamped receipt before we can release the vehicle. You may also visit www.mncourts.gov for Violations Bureau information.
My car was stolen and towed to the impound lot and I do not want it anymore. Can I just leave it there?
Yes. "Junk Left to City" (JLTC) is a situation in which the owner no longer wants his/her vehicle and decides that they would like to turn the title and keys for the vehicle over to the city. No fees will be assessed to you for the impoundment of the vehicle if you junk it to the city. But you must still pay any and all tickets on the vehicle with the violations bureau.
Can I get my personal property out of my car before I leave it there?
No. "Junk Left to City" does not give the owner permission to remove personal property. All the impound fees must be paid in full before personal property can be removed.
Q: Can i get my vehicle towed out if I don't have Insurance?
A: No, all vehicles registered for road use in Minnesota must be insured per MN state Statues Chapter 65B and Chapter 169.
Q: Can I get my vehicle out of impound if I don't have a valid Driver's license?
A: Yes, but you must have 1 valid driver with you (that drove you here) and get the vehicle towed out or have 2 valid drivers with you 1 driver to bring you here and 1 to drive your vehicle out of impound.
Impound Lot Automobile Auction
Check out our auction page for new Scrap/parts auction!!!
Next Scheduled Auction(s)
Thursday September 15th and 29th 2016
@830 Barge Channel Rd
11:30 AM viewing, 1:00 PM auction
Next Scheduled SNOW Auction
Snow lot is CLOSED for the season
830 Barge Channel Road
Saint Paul, MN 55107
651-292 - 6005
1129 Cathlin Street
Saint Paul, MN 55108
651-603 - 6895
For information on our auctions call 651-266-5757.
Vehicles towed by the Saint Paul Police Department are taken the Impound Lot, located at 830 Barge Channel Road. The Impound Lot is open every day from 8:00AM to 10:00PM. Contact:651.266.5642 (phone) 651.298.4938 (fax) View Larger Map Towed Vehicle Information: Within 72 hours of a vehicle being towed, the City of Saint Paul mails a notice to the registered owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is not picked up within 15 days of the notice, it may be sold at auction. To get a vehicle out of the Impound Lot, you will need:
- A valid Photo ID (State issued ID, Permit or Driver's License, Passport, Military ID or Consulate ID)
- Proof of Insurance: Current (up to date) insurance card or insurance binder for the vehicle that is currently impounded. This can be faxed to 651-298-4938.
If the vehicle is not currently registered in you name you will also need a Transferred Title, Bill of Sale or Lease Agreement. Visit the Releasing Your Vehicle page for more information.
Public Auctions Auctions are held every other Thursday at 1:00PM. Vehicles may be viewed beginning at 11:30AM on the day of the auction.
Visit the Public Auction page for more information.