**Our next public auction will be held on Thursday, June 27th at 830 Barge Channel Road.  Viewing starts at 11:30am and the auction starts at 1pm**

*Proper social distancing measures will be in place. It is recommended that you wear a mask if you attend and do not come if you are feeling ill.

Details on sale specifics are on auction website at Hiller Auction All vehicles purchased must be paid for in cash or certified check only.  

If your vehicle was towed:

  • Standard tow - $225.24*
  • Storage charge $15 each additional day starting at midnight.
  • * Regular Police tows only, see Snow Emergency tab for Snow Tow information.
  • Noted - Tow pricing may be higher depending on the type of tow service required.

Vehicles towed by the Saint Paul Police Department are taken the Impound Lot, located at 830 Barge Channel Road. The Impound Lot is open every day from 8:00AM to 10:00PM. Contact:651.266.5642 (phone) 651.298.4938 (fax) View Larger Map Towed Vehicle Information: Within 5 business days, the City of Saint Paul mails a notice to the registered owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is not picked up within 15 days of the notice, it may be sold at auction. To get a vehicle out of the Impound Lot, you will need:

  • A valid Photo ID (State issued ID, Permit or Driver's License, Passport, Military ID or Consulate ID)
  • Proof of Insurance: Current (up to date) insurance card or insurance binder for the vehicle that is currently impounded. This can be faxed to 651-298-4938 or email to SPPD-Impound@ci.stpaul.mn.us

If the vehicle is not currently registered in your name, you will also need a Transferred Title, Bill of Sale or Lease Agreement.

Visit the Releasing Your Vehicle page for more information or click here for the Vehicle Release Form.

Accepted forms of payment

  • Cash
  • Credit/Debit
  • Business Checks- All checks are subject to approval by management.

What you need to get a vehicle out of Impound

  1. Proof of Ownership: Title, Bill of Sale or Lease Agreement
  2. Valid Photo ID* or Driver's License (a valid DL is needed to drive the car from the lot)**
  3. Proof of current insurance on the vehicle you are picking up
  4. Payment of all towing and storage fees

*Accepted forms of ID- State issued ID, Permit or Drivers License, Passport, Military ID or Consulate ID.

**If the owner of the vehicle does not have a drivers license they will need 2 licensed drivers to accompany them. If you take a cab, Uber or bus the registered owner must have 1 licensed driver along with the receipt from the cab or Uber, or a bus transfer.

If you are not the registered owner you will need

  • Personal Vehicle - A notarized letter with a copy of the owners photo ID. Or you must have the same last name and address on your drivers license.
  • Rental or Company owned vehicle - The company must be notified by the driver and will only be released with faxed authorization from the company.
  • Repossession - An Affidavit of Repossession (or Writ of Replevin) and a lien holder's card are required in order to release a vehicle to a lien holder or their authorized representative- NO EXCEPTIONS!

Search for a Vehicle

Use the below form to find where you can retrieve your impounded vehicle and view any fines assessed against it.

Unwanted Vehicles

My car was towed to the impound lot and I do not want it anymore. Can I just leave it there?

Yes. "Junk Left to City" (JLTC) is a situation in which the owner no longer wants his/her vehicle and decides that they would like to turn the title and keys for the vehicle over to the city. No fees will be assessed to you for the impoundment of the vehicle if you junk it to the city. But you must still pay any and all tickets on the vehicle with the violations bureau.

Can I get my personal property out of my car before I leave it there?

No. "Junk Left to City" does not give the owner permission to remove personal property. All the impound fees must be paid in full before personal property can be removed.


Click here for FAQ's flyer

Q: Can I get my vehicle towed out if I don't have Insurance?

A: No, all vehicles registered for road use in Minnesota must be insured per MN state Statues Chapter 65B and Chapter 169.

Q: Can I get my vehicle out of impound if I don't have a valid Driver's license?

A: Yes, but you must have 1 valid driver with you (that drove you here) and get the vehicle towed out or have 2 valid drivers with you 1 driver to bring you here and 1 to drive your vehicle out of impound.

Impound Lot Automobile Auction

Our next public auction will be held on Thursday, June 27th at 830 Barge Channel Road.  Viewing starts at 11:30am and the auction starts at 1:00pm. 

Auction hotline: 651.266.5757

Visit the Public Auction page for more information.

Police Lots

Impound Lot
830 Barge Channel Road
Saint Paul, MN 55107

Snow Lot
1129 Cathlin Street
Saint Paul, MN 55108

Last Edited: June 13, 2024