By Saint Paul Ordinance, your civil and legal duties as a dog owner include the following:
- Your dog must be licensed yearly. Dogs three months of age and older are required to be licensed. The metal license tag must be affixed to a collar or harness.
- Dogs are not allowed to run at large. Animals in an unfenced yard or not properly leashed are considered running at large.
- Dog owners are required to dispose of all dog droppings. When you take your pet out for a walk, you are responsible for disposal of your dog's droppings.
- To avoid obnoxious odors and attracting flies in your yard, keep your yard free of dog droppings.
- Be considerate of your neighbors and do not allow your dog to bark excessively.
- Every dog (and cat) four months of age and older must be vaccinated against rabies. A metal or durable plastic rabies vaccination tag must be worn by the pet whenever outside. Rabies vaccinations must be kept up-to-date.
- Cats trespassing on properties can be confined and turned in to Animal Control.
If you have an animal problem in your neighborhood, call the Saint Paul Animal Control Center at 651-266-1100.