You are required to get a building permit for the following changes on one or two-family residences, multi-family residences, or buildings for commercial, industrial, or institutional use:
- Building a new structure
- Adding an addition to current structure
- Remodeling or repairing a structure
For more information, see:
- When is a Permit Required?
- Applications & Information Page
- Interactive Inspector Area Map.
- Online Permit System
- New Roofing Policy
If you can't find the information you are looking for, contact the appropriate department.
- Zoning Section - Phone: 651-266-9008
For information about Zoning Code setbacks, lot coverage, land usage
- Building Plan Review Section - Phone: 651-266-9007
For information on Building Code construction and permit requirements
- Heritage Preservation Commission Staff - Phone: 651-266-9078
For information on historic districts or sites, design guidelines
For general information on permit requirements, email the DSI Message Center.