Human Rights and Equal Economic Opportunity
Welcome to the Department of Human Rights and Equal Economic Opportunity (HREEO). HREEO is serving Saint Paul residents and businesses by advancing justice through advocacy and enforcement. HREEO achieves its mission by upholding the following values:
- Trust and accountability
- Community Inclusion
- Continuous Improvement
We welcome you to join our efforts.
The Department of Human Rights & Equal Economic Opportunity is composed of several divisions that perform a diverse array of functions.
- Contract Compliance and Business Development
- Human Rights
- Labor Standards Enforcement and Education
- Procurement (Contract & Analysis Services)
The Department of Human Rights & Equal Economic Opportunity staffs and partners with several advisory boards, which work to better inform policy makers.
- Advisory Committee on Aging
- Human Rights & Equal Economic Opportunity Commission
- Labor Standards Advisory Committee
- Mayor's Advisory Committee for People with Disabilities
- Police Civilian Internal Affairs Review Commission
HREEO Service Changes
While Human Rights and Equal Economic Opportunity (HREEO) walk-up services are closed in alignment with public health official guidance around COVID-19, HREEO remains open to respond to the needs of the community. Staff are working remotely and able to assist.
Individuals can file complaints either over the phone or electronically. Please note that many HREEO commissions and committee meetings will be held remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
For general inquiries, please call the HREEO general line at (651) 266-8966 or email:
- Human Rights - email@example.com
- Procurement - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contract Compliance and Business Development - email@example.com
- Labor Standards Education and Enforcement - firstname.lastname@example.org
What is HREEO?
The City of Saint Paul completed an equal access audit in 2007 to examine the city's contracting and workforce development policies. As a result, HREEO was created to improve the inclusive contracting practices and workforce development strategies of the City of Saint Paul. The department consolidated existing city resources to better serve, monitor, and enforce polices designed to expand economic opportunities and produce a more economically inclusive Saint Paul.
Read the 2019 HREEO Annual Report.
Visit HREEO Publications for additional event videos and reports.