Thank you to everyone who participated in the concept design process for the Minnesota Street Reconstruction Project. Over the past year, staff has collected hundreds of survey responses, conducted dozens of formal and informal stakeholder meetings, and initiated engineering and utility design on the corridor. You can read summaries of all the feedback in the Project Updates section below.
Here are the key themes that we have heard over 15 months of conversations:
- Street trees & pedestrian buffers are a top priority
- A protected bicycle facility is necessary to safely accommodate current and future users, including emerging modes of transportation
- Two travel lanes are necessary to enable efficient commutes into and out of downtown
- A parking or loading zone is necessary on every block to maintain local building access and flexibility in the long term
Concept Design Images
With these key themes in mind, the proposed concept for Minnesota Street includes sidewalks on both sides of the street, a boulevard/buffer space that is wide enough for street trees on one side, a two-way bike facility, a parking or loading zone lane, and two drive lanes.
Review a PDF Layout of the whole corridor *updated July 22, 2022*
This concept is a hybrid version of all the options presented in Fall 2021. It was developed as a result of public and stakeholder feedback. The concept will change slightly on each block in order to respond to adjacent property owner needs.
This concept will be presented to the City of Saint Paul Transportation Committee on July 11, 2022 for final approval and the start of the final design phase of work.
Unanimous approval was received and therefore final design will occur throughout 2022 and will include:
- Internal and external engineering review
- Intersection design
- Utility design
- Design of the streetscape and pedestrian areas
- Construction phasing and coordination
- July 11, 2022 - Present to Transportation Committee - Unanimous approval received
- Rest of 2022 - Final design
- Fall/Winter 2022 - Public hearing when the design has been finalized
Sign up for project emails at the blue bar below to be notified when that hearing is set.
We appreciate your feedback and input into this process. If you have any other ideas or questions, please reach out to the project team.