Saint Paul City Charter and City Ordinance Limits the number of Full On-Sale Liquor Licenses available Citywide and by City Council Wards. There is no limit on the number of Wine and Beer only licenses that can be issued in the city.
|Citywide Full On-Sale Liquor Licenses||City Council Wards – Ward Map|
- Locations within Commercial Development Districts are not limited by the Ward cap.
- The Citywide Limit is a total cap and does not allow for all available Ward and Commercial Development District licenses to be issued.
*Availability as of 9/30/2015
Process for applying for a Full On-Sale Liquor License in Wards where none have been available.
The Department of Safety and Inspections (DSI) will notice the new full on-sale liquor license availability on DSI’s website as well as in the Legal Register. (This excludes licenses that involves the purchase of an existing business having an "on sale" license with the intent of operating said business at the same location for at least one year thereafter.) The notice period will be not less than 30 days. To apply, deliver a “substantially complete application” to the Department of Safety and Inspections office (375 Jackson Street) by the date specified in the notice. A “Substantially complete application” encompasses the following:
- Class N Application and related personal affidavit forms.
- Business Expenses and Source of Funds Addendum
- Business Plan Addendum
- Proof of interest in the proposed location for licensed activity
- Describe ability to be open for business within 6 months of license approval.
- If this is a new location not formerly licensed, documentation that premises is 300 feet from a school or church
If DSI receives more than one application for the available license, the following process will be utilized in issuing the license - Selection Process for Available License.