This license is for businesses felling, cutting, or trimming trees which are two or more inches in diameter at the point of cutting or severance. This license is not required for stump removal. If you have questions, contact DSI at 651-266-8989, or email the DSI Message Center.
See Chapter 362 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for information about tree trimmers and tree trimmer vehicles.
You must submit the following:
- A Certificate of Insurance showing general liability in the amount of at least $100,000.00 for bodily injuries to or death of any person or persons not covered by the workers' compensation law and at least $100,000.00 for damage to or destruction of property.
- Identifying information for each vehicle including the license plate number, vehicle identification number (VIN), and make/model/year of the vehicle(s).
- Proof of registration with the commissioner of agriculture.
- Employment of an International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) certified arborist.
- Compliance with the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard A300.
- Required fee
This license requires inspection approvals from DSI Licensing 651-266-8989. A vehicle appearance inspection will be conducted by a DSI License Inspector to verify the name and telephone number of the company is permanently displayed on the vehicle(s)
The license fees for a Tree Trimmer & Tree Trimmer Vehicle License are $191.00 for operator and the first vehicle. Additional fees include $78.00 for each additional vehicle and $49.00 per replacement vehicle.
A Tree Trimmer & Tree Trimmer Vehicle License expires on the insurance expiration date, and may be renewed annually.