In these unprecedented times, with everything around us changing and the future seeming uncertain, unpaid bills can seem insurmountable.

 Help is available.

You can apply directly for assistance from the State of Minnesota COVID Housing Assistance Program (CHAP).
These funds can be used to cover bills incurred after March 1, 2020, and remain past due.
In addition to utility bills, CHAP can help with other housing-related payments.

SPRWS Customized Assistance

Saint Paul Regional Water Services offers a customized approach to help customers resolve unpaid bills and reduce future financial obligations.


 How we can help you:

  • Start with a confidential call with a customer service associate who will work with you to find a bill payment option suitable for your individual and unique situation. 

    • We will match you with payment options that help you catch up on unpaid bills. This could include:

      • Setting up a payment plan on the outstanding balance or other payment options.
      • Connecting you with partners who have funding for help with an unpaid bill.

Ready to make a payment?

  • Visit our lobby at 1900 Rice Street, St. Paul, MN 55113, M – F from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

    • We are following CDC guidelines and all customers entering the building are required to wear a mask and adhere to health and social distancing guidelines.
  • A drop box is located on the premises in the center island in front of the administration building. The box is yellow. The access is marked to allow in-car drop off anytime, or if health conditions indicate entering the building may endanger others.
  • Pay by mail, with a money order or cashier’s check.
  • Pay by phone at 651-266-6350
  • Pay online

Note: During this pandemic, we have suspended turning off water service  due to inability to pay your water bill.
Water service shut off due to code violations have resumed.

Last Edited: August 2, 2021